NO INTERRUPTIONS DAY
No Interruptions Day on the last workday of the year sets aside the day to get organized for the new year by cleaning up your workspace without interruptions.
This is the day set aside for cleaning out emails, tossing long-saved memos, and delegating those tasks that, well, just need to be delegated. Clear out those menial tasks that you dread. Get them finished and cleared off your to-do list.
Everyone’s to-do list is different. The very nature of our job dictates what we consider an organized and cleared workspace. One career may be facing new regulations while another looks at all new technology to learn. A day without interruption allows us to focus on big things and small.
However, some people use this day to focus hard on those end-of-year tasks that always seem to slip through the cracks. Often these are the details of work one pushes off until the last minute. And today is that last minute.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NoInterruptionsDay
Turn off the phone, ignore your e-mails, close your door, and enjoy the peace of no interruptions for a full day. You can do this, right? Here are some of the things many of us will tackle on these quiet end-of-the-year-days:
- Answer un-answered emails
- Delete, file, and organize emails we’ve been saving
- Scan needed receipts and shred unnecessary paperwork
- Complete online training courses
- Update calendar and address book.
When you have reached that goal, use #NoInterruptionsDay to post on social media and tell the world how successful you were!
NO INTERRUPTIONS DAY HISTORY
We’re busy and have no time for interruptions while researching the origins of this day.
No Interruptions FAQ
Q. How can I avoid interruptions?
A. Interruptions slow us down. We lose track of what we were doing or lose our train of thought. Some ways to avoid interruptions include:
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn on the auto-reply on your email.
- Close doors.
- Hang a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door.
- Make an announcement. “I will be unavailable for the next 2 hours. Please do not interrupt me.”
- Take your work to an out-of-the-way place like a coffee shop, library or secluded outdoor spot.
Q. Are there other productivity days on the calendar?
A. Yes. Check these out:
30 December 2022
29 December 2023
31 December 2024
31 December 2025
31 December 2026
31 December 2027
29 December 2028