NATIONAL BOOK LOVERS DAY
National Book Lovers Day on August 9th harnesses all the excitement bibliophiles feel about books into one celebration.
A day for all those who love to read, National Book Lovers Day encourages you to find your favorite reading place, a good book (whether it be fiction or non-fiction) and read the day away.
Bibliophile – a person who has a great appreciation for or collects books.
Step back in time
- The very first books used parchment or vellum (calf-skin) for the book pages.
- The book covers were made of wood and often covered with leather.
- Clasps or straps kept the books closed.
- Public libraries appeared in the Middle Ages.
- Public libraries often chained the books to a shelf or a desk to prevent theft.
Along with several recent developments, book manufacturers use digital printing. Book pages are printed using toner rather than ink. As a result of digital printing, print-on-demand opens up a whole new realm of publishing. In this case, distributors don’t print the books until the customer places the order.
More and more, people read E-books. E-book (electronic book) refers to a book-length publication in digital form. They are usually available through the internet. However, they can also be found on CD-ROM and other systems. Read an E-book on a computer or via a portable book display device known as an e-book reader, such as a Reader, Nook or Kindle.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalBookLoversDay
Sit back, relax and READ! Don’t forget to share the joy of reading with young people in your life. Inspire them with your favorite novel or find out about the last book they took off the shelf. Read to the littlest of the up and coming readers, too. And share what your reading with us, too! Need more ways to celebrate? We’ve got them!
- Shop for a new title to read or explore the shelves for one you would like to give.
- Explore the shelves of used book stores. You might find an out of print tome that might become the highlight of your collection.
- Discover the world of online book stores. Their stock includes a variety of subjects and collectible items, too.
- Record a video of you reading a story for a child in your life.
- Randomly give a book to someone.
Use #NationalBookLoversDay to post on social media and spread the word.
NATIONAL BOOK LOVERS DAY HISTORY
We were unable to find the creator or origin of National Book Lovers Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!