UNIVERSAL MUSIC DAY
On the second Saturday in October, Universal Music Day invites the general public to gather together and make music. It is also a day for people to express themselves in other creative ways. For this reason, the day is also known as Universal Self-Expression Day.
Many people say that music is a way to unite people around the world. Just consider these quotes about music uniting us all:
- Stevie Wonder – “Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand.”
- Robert Plant – “Music is for every single person that walks the planet.”
- Pinchas Zukerman – “Music has the power to unite us. It proves that by working together, we can create something truly beautiful.”
- Sanchita Pandey – “Music with all its subtlety has immense power to unite people, spread love, and bring peace to the world!”
- Sean Combs – “Music is the most powerful form of communication in the world. It brings us all together.”
Even Nelson Mandela has stated, “Music is a great blessing. It has the power to elevate and liberate us. It sets people free to dream. It can unite us to sing with one voice. Such is the value of music.”
How exactly can music be so powerful? According to scientists, music stimulates more parts of the brain than any other human function. This is why some think that music has an effect on how the brain works. Psychologists say that music has the power to evoke emotion and pleasure. These emotional responses to music occur through reminiscing, synchronizing movements to music, and creating expectations. Through computational data, a group of anthropologists, biologists, and linguists found that music really is the universal language of mankind.
HOW TO OBSERVE #UniversalMusicDay
On this day, people around the world are invited to bring their musical instruments, art supplies, dancing shoes, and a sense of fun to a gathering place in their community. This place could be a park, beach, community center, or someone’s home. People are also invited to celebrate their greatness as human beings.
- Attend a concert, the symphony, or another musical event.
- Make your own music with an instrument or your voice.
- Find a creative way to express yourself.
Share this day on social media with #UniversalMusicDay.
UNIVERSAL MUSIC DAY HISTORY
Susan Patricia Golden founded Universal Music Day in 2007. Susan is a life coach, mentor, and professional speaker, and she believes that music-making creates well-being. She says that creative expression, especially music, is the greatest gift we can give ourselves and our children. She created this day so that the whole world would make music together in order to create world peace and harmony.
8 October 2022
14 October 2023
12 October 2024
11 October 2025
10 October 2026
9 October 2027
14 October 2028
13 October 2029
12 October 2030
11 October 2031