NATIONAL HOT DOG DAY | THIRD WEDNESDAY IN JULY
National Hot Dog Day in July celebrates a summertime staple on a bun. Enjoy one piping hot and add some relish and mustard to go! One thing we want to know – is it a sandwich or not?
Celebrated every year during National Hot Dog Month, this day pays homage to the frankfurter, the footlong or wienie, wiener, wienerwurst or even red hot. They taste just as great no matter what we call it.
Over 25 million hot dogs are sold at baseball stadiums each year.
We make them a variety of ways. They’re portable and easy to make. While many of us prefer them grilled or toasted over a fire, we also boil, pan-fry, and rotisserie-cook them. The list of toppings are numerous – from the basic ketchup, mustard or relish to onions, mayonnaise, cheese, bacon, chili and sauerkraut – the list keeps growing. Adults and children alike love them, too.
On May 31, 2012, a world record was set for the most expensive hot dog. The “California Capitol City Dawg” sold for $145.49 at Capitol Dawg in Sacramento, California. The “California Capitol City Dawg” features:
- A grilled 18″ all-beef, in natural casing frank from Chicago
- Served on a fresh-baked herb and oil focaccia roll spread with white truffle butter, then grilled
- Topped with whole grain mustard from France, garlic and herb mayonnaise
- Sauteed chopped shallots, organic mixed baby greens, maple syrup
- Marinated/fruitwood smoked uncured bacon from New Hampshire
- Chopped tomatoes, sweetened dried cranberries, chopped tomato
- Expensive moose cheese from Sweden
- Basil olive oil/pear-cranberry-coconut balsamic vinaigrette and ground peppercorn
- Proceeds from the sale of each 3 lb. super dog donated to the Shriners Hospitals for Children
7-Eleven sells the most grilled hot dogs in North America – 100 million annually.
HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL HOT DOG DAY
There are so many ways to celebrate the day!
- Host a hot dog roast.
- Share your favorite toppings.
- Take a poll to find out which is most preferred – blackened hot dogs or just cooked through?
- Explore the best hot dog eateries near you and give them a shout-out.
- Challenge people to defend their position on this question: Is a hot dog a sandwich?
While you’re celebrating, have a hot dog. Post your favorite hot dogs using #NationalHotDogDay to encourage others to join in.
NATIONAL HOT DOG DAY HISTORY
The National Hot Dog and Sausage Council established National Hot Dog Day in 1991 to coincide with a hot dog lunch on Capitol Hill. The observance occurs every year on a Wednesday in July.
20 July 2022
19 July 2023
17 July 2024
16 July 2025
15 July 2026
21 July 2027
19 July 2028
18 July 2029
17 July 2030
16 July 2031