NATIONAL GARDENING DAY
National Gardening Day on April 14th encourages gardeners and would-be gardeners to pick up a shovel, plant some seeds, and kick off a beautiful year of homegrown bounty.
Whether you want to grow vegetables, fruit, flowers, houseplants, or anything in between, National Gardening Day celebrates a satisfying pastime that you will enjoy for decades.
Growing your own food also provides fresh and natural nourishment for your family and saves you time and money at the grocery store.
As many gardeners know, the benefits of gardening come from more than the produce. Spending time in the garden also provides physical activity and an opportunity to join with nature.
The day is a call to action to get out and grow flower or vegetable gardens. No matter how you garden, plant in the ground, in containers, in straw bales or in a square foot gardening box. Just garden!
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalGardeningDay
There are many ways that you can celebrate the day, including:
- Find the right book, guide or resource for your needs at Cool Springs Press, county extension service, the local bookstore or library.
- Sign up for a gardening course in your area, or find a Square Foot Gardening course with a Square Foot Gardening Certified Instructor.
- Look for a community garden in your area.
- Organize a seed and perennial plant swap with neighbors and friends.
- Join a garden club. There isn’t one near? Start one!
- Visit your local nursery or garden center—you will be amazed and excited by all the beautiful options
- Visit Quarto Homes on Facebook and Instagram for more gardening information
- While you’re gardening, be sure to share your experience with others on social media using #NationalGardeningDay, #garden and #gardening.
- Educators and family, check out the National Day Calendar Classroom for fun projects designed to #CelebrateEveryDay!
NATIONAL GARDENING DAY HISTORY
Cool Springs Press, an imprint of The Quarto Group, founded National Gardening Day on April 14 to celebrate gardening and to encourage home gardeners and students to learn more about how to garden.
In 2018, the Registrar at National Day Calendar® proclaimed the day to be observed annually on April 14th.
About Cool Springs Press
Celebrating over twenty-five years of inspiring gardeners, Cool Springs Press is a leading publisher of best-selling gardening books with titles that cover all facets of plant cultivation and gardening techniques, both indoors and out.
Q. Can anyone celebrate National Gardening Day?
A. Yes! Anyone can celebrate the day, even apartment dwellers. Container gardening and cooperative gardening make it possible for people without a yard to garden too.
Q. I don’t have a green thumb. How can I learn to garden?
A. Green thumbs are not required to learn to garden. Attend gardening seminars to gain knowledge. Read up about the plants that thrive in your zone. Start with some easy plants to grow such as:
- Bachelor Buttons