NATIONAL CAKE DECORATING DAY
National Cake Decorating Day on October 10th recognizes the creative artist who elevates cake design to another level.
Many professional cake decorators started their careers as hobbyists. It allows them to express themselves in an edible form. We make or purchase decorated cakes for many of life’s events, from baptisms and birthdays to weddings and anniversaries. Decorated cakes help carry out the theme of any party or event.
Did you know cake decorators use at least six different types of icings? Depending on the kind of cake, they may use more than one type. Some help keep the layers together like glue. Others form designs better. And still, other types of icings or frosting add details.
6 Types of Icing or Frosting
- Butter Cream – This soft and very spreadable icing is tasty and preferred by bakers. It’s made with sugar and either lard, butter, or margarine.
- Cream Cheese Frosting – By combining Butter Cream frosting and cream cheese, this rich and soft frosting pairs well with cupcakes and red velvet cake.
- Fondant – Made with gelatin, glycerine, shortening, and other ingredients, this sculptable and moldable frosting builds a variety of designs on cakes.
- Meringue – Egg whites, cold water, and granulated sugar beaten to a frothy consistency create a beautifully light and airy frosting. The final product may be served chilled or cooked to a crisp. This frosting often will be found on top of tarts or pies.
- Royal Icing – A paste-like frosting, Royal Icing dries to a hard shell. Made from egg whites, icing sugar, and lime juice, this icing readily accepts colors.
We ooh and awe at a beautifully presented meal or dessert. Cake decorators take the challenge and offer us works of Van Gogh, Monet, Frida Kahlo, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Julia Morgan in pastry form. Not only do we celebrate with dark chocolate ganache, but our eyes can’t imagine the feats before us. At times, cake artists also create sugar art, too. They delight us with their flavors and inspiring designs.
HOW TO OBSERVE #CakeDecoratingDay
Decorate a cake. Thank your favorite cake, decorator. Give them a shout out and let them know you appreciate their hard work and dedication. Share your favorite designs or your memories of past cakes that impressed you. What would you like to see in cake design? If you’re a cake decorator, share with us your most impressive decoration. Show off! And while you’re at it, pat yourself on the back, flour print and all.
Be sure to invite someone to #CelebrateEveryDay with you and enjoy a delicious decorated cake. Use #NationalCakeDecoratingDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL CAKE DECORATING DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar® continues researching the origins of the sweet and creative food holiday.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!