WORLD SINGING DAY
Every year on the third Saturday in October, World Singing Day encourages people around the globe to sing. The goal of the day is to host a world-wide sing-along that fosters unity and harmony through a common experience.
According to research, singing with others forms a strong connection. Along with harmonizing voices, singing together synchronizes heartbeats. When done in groups, singing also helps to break the ice. Because of this, social bonds are formed more quickly.
Other benefits of singing include:
- Strengthens the immune system
- Gives the lungs a good workout
- Helps improve posture
- Strengthens the throat and palate, which can reduce snoring
- Releases endorphins and works as a natural anti-depressant
- Lowers stress levels
- Boosts confidence levels
- Broadens communication skills
With so many benefits of singing, why not warm up your vocal cords and sing all your favorite songs! Better yet, grab a friend or a whole group of friends, and sing together. And don’t worry about hitting every note perfectly, just have fun and sing!
HOW TO OBSERVE #WorldSingingDay
On this day, people all over the world are encouraged to put aside their differences and celebrate what we share as human beings. The day is for everyone, regardless of race, religion, disability, age, and even singing ability. The best way to participate in this day is to simply sing!
Other ways to participate include:
- Watch and share videos of your favorite singers or favorite groups of people singing
- Get a group of people together to sing at various places throughout the community, including nursing homes, retirement communities, hospitals, and even on the street.
- Learn about different kinds of singing, such as opera, acapella, and choral.
- Watch movies about singing, like “Pitch Perfect,” “A Star is Born,” “The Sound of Music,” and “High School Musical.”
Post a video of singing your favorite song on social media and share it with #WorldSingingDay
WORLD SINGING DAY HISTORY
Scott Johnson, a musician from Colorado, founded World Singing Day in 2012. Johnson is also an alumnus of Up with People, a nonprofit international organization that teaches young adults to interact in a multi-cultural environment. The organization uses travel, the performing arts, and various workshops to create change in communities.
17 October 2020
16 October 2021
15 October 2022
21 October 2023
19 October 2024
18 October 2025
17 October 2026
16 October 2027
21 October 2028
20 October 2029
19 October 2030
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!