WORLD RAT DAY
Every year on April 4th, World Rat Day celebrates this intelligent rodent. It’s also a day to promote the idea of keeping rats as pets.
Do you recoil at the sight of a rat? Or maybe even the mere thought of a rat sends you reeling. What you may not realize is that the rat is considered a very intelligent animal. They are so smart, that some people keep rats as pets. Besides being easy to care for, rats are easily tamed. Rats are also very curious, social, and full of personality. All of these characteristics make these rodents excellent pets. Rat owners should know that like most pets, these animals need their exercise. Owners should take them out of the cage at least once a day for about an hour.
If you don’t know a lot about rats, here are some fun facts:
- Male rats are called bucks and females are does
- Baby rats are called pups
- Adult rats weigh just over 1 pound
- Rats live between 2 to 3 years
- Rats make a high-pitched noise when they play
- Some species of rats can tread water for 3 days
- The blood vessels in a rat’s tail help regulate its body temperature
There are 7 varieties of rats. These varieties include Standard, Rex, Tailless, Hairless, Satin, Dumbo, and Bristle coat. Rats also have 40 distinct coat colors. Some of these coat colors include champagne, chocolate, black-eyed white, silver black, and Dalmation. Rats also have various eye colors, including pink, red, ruby, and black.
HOW TO OBSERVE #WorldRatDay
On this day, people who have rats are encouraged to give their pet special treats. Some owners even hold parties for their pet rat. Rat owners are encouraged to tell others about the benefits of having this rodent as a pet.
- Go to your local pet store and look at the rats and other rodents.
- Learn more about why rats make such great pets.
- Go online and look up the National Fancy Rat Society in England or The Rat & Mouse Club of America.
- Watch a movie with rat characters such as Ratatouille, The Secret of NIMH, and Charlotte’s Web.
Take a picture of your pet rat or favorite rat character and post it to social media with #WorldRatDay.
WORLD RAT DAY HISTORY
In 2002, rat owners took to the internet to discuss a possible day dedicated to their beloved pets. They wanted to initiate a World Rat Day that would promote rats as pets. These rat lovers chose April 4th as it was the date that The “Ratlist” began. The “Ratlist” is the oldest mailing list on the internet dedicated to the topic of pet rats.