WORLD LAUGHTER DAY
Every year on the first Sunday in May, World Laughter Day raises awareness of laughter and the many healing benefits it provides. Another goal of the day is to manifest World Peace and build a global consciousness through laughter.
You have probably heard the saying, “laughter is the best medicine.” Even psychologists and medical doctors say there is truth to this statement. That’s because there is evidence that laughter can do so many wonderful things.
Here are just some of the many benefits of laughter:
- Helps to reduce pain and allows people to tolerate discomfort
- Reduces blood sugar levels and increases glucose tolerance
- Improves job performance
- Makes marriages and intimate relationships healthier
- Synchronizes the brain of speakers and listeners
- Restores a positive emotional climate between two people
- Helps blood vessels function better, which is good for the heart and brain
- Relieves stress and helps the body to relax
Additionally, laughter boosts the immune system and triggers the release of endorphins which promotes an overall sense of well-being. One more amazing benefit of laughter is that it burns calories! If you laugh for 10 to 15 minutes a day, you will burn about 40 calories.
HOW TO OBSERVE #WorldLaughterDay
It’s easy and fun to participate in this day. All you need to do is have a good laugh. If you’re feeling sad or depressed, pop in a funny movie like Best in Show, Big, Clueless, Dumb and Dumber, Office Space, or Wayne’s World. You might also want to listen to funny comedians like Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Amy Schumer, or Ellen DeGeneres. Here are some other ways to celebrate the day:
- Tell someone a funny joke
- Look up inspirational quotes about laughter
- Post a funny picture to social media
- Read a funny book
No matter how you choose to celebrate the day, be sure to share #WorldLaughterDay on social media.
WORLD LAUGHTER DAY HISTORY
Dr. Madan Kataria, the founder of the Laughter Yoga movement, established World Laughter Day. The first event was held in Mumbai, India on May 10, 1998. Dr. Kataria is a family doctor in India. He started the Laughter Yoga movement based on the idea that facial expressions have an effect on emotions. Currently, there are about 5,000 Laughter Yoga clubs throughout the world.
1 May 2022
7 May 2023
5 May 2024
4 May 2025
3 May 2026
2 May 2027
7 May 2028
6 May 2029
5 May 2030