WORLD KINDNESS WEEK
Spread kindness all week long during World Kindness Week, held during the week of World Kindness Day. World Kindness Day falls on November 13th each year, which is why World Kindness Week starts Monday of that week.
“Wherever there is human need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference.” Kevin Heath
It can be hard to stay positive in this crazy world. Bullying is prevalent, and bad things often happen to the nicest people. Having an attitude of gratitude can be helpful in optimistic. So can being kind to others. Kindness is the quality of being friendly and considerate. Showing kindness goes a long way. Kindness helps others feel valued. Kindness also has benefits for the person being kind. These benefits include:
- elevation of dopamine levels in the brain, which makes us feel good
- the feeling of emotional warmth, which leads to a healthier heart
- reduction in inflammation, which can slow the aging process
- reduction of emotional distance, which helps couples feel more bonded
- Contagiousness that often sets off a pay-it-forward ripple effect
With all of these incredible benefits, it pays in more ways than one to be kind. Being kind changes lives. It not only changes your life, but it improves the lives of those on the receiving end of kindness. Some even believe that kindness has the potential to change the whole world.
What are you waiting for you? If you need to work on kindness, World Kindness Week is the perfect time to start.
HOW TO OBSERVE #WorldKindnessWeek
Here are some ways to participate:
- Write notes of kindness on small pieces of paper and stick them in random library books
- Hand out notes of encouragement wherever you go, including the grocery store, coffee shop, etc.
- Offer to do an errand for someone like walking their dog or helping them with groceries
- Cook dinner for a friend and bring it to their home
- Give notes of appreciation to family members, coworkers, and service providers
- Pay for someone’s meal at a restaurant
- Pay for the coffee or meal of the person behind you at the drive-thru
- Give someone, or several people, a hug
- Encourage others to be kind
Come up with your own creative kindness ideas on social media and share using #WorldKindnessWeek when sharing on social media.
“Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.” Unknown
WORLD KINDNESS WEEK HISTORY
In 1998, the World Kindness Movement launched the first World Kindness Day. Over 28 nations are involved in the World Kindness Movement. Through the years, World Kindness Day evolved into an entire week of kindness. World Kindness Week is celebrated during the second week of November, beginning on Monday and ending on Sunday. The week incorporates World Kindness Day, which is held annually on November 13th.
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy.
Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” Dalai Lama