SPINACH LOVERS MONTH
Spinach Lovers Month is an annual designation observed in October. If you’re someone who usually shies away from this leafy green, now is the time to give it another chance. Experts say spinach is one of the world’s top 10 Superfoods. And the best part is, you can easily incorporate it into almost any meal you make. It’s packed with antioxidants including Vitamin C and beta-carotene. One cup of fresh spinach gives you nearly DOUBLE the daily requirement for Vitamin K, which plays an important role in cardiovascular and bone health. And the list goes on and on. The best part? You can almost always find a way to add spinach to breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or all 3 if you’re feeling extra nutritious that day! Whether you sauté it in olive oil and add it to your eggs in the morning, or use it as a fresh bed for your salad during the day, it packs a big healthy punch.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Have some spinach dip or spinach salad. Put some on your sandwich for added crunch, or blend it up in your fruit smoothie. Whatever recipe you choose, take a picture and use #SpinachLoversMonth to post on social media. Here are a few ways to make quick, healthy meals that incorporate this delicious veggie.
- Spinach Smoothies. It might sound weird, but throwing a handful of spinach into the blender with your fruit is a great way to add extra nutrients to your sweet smoothie… and it doesn’t change the flavor! My personal favorite spinach smoothie recipe is 1 banana, 1/2 avocado, a handful of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, a few chunks of mango, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, and a handful of spinach to top it all off. Take it a step further by adding a sprinkle of chia and flax seeds. Talk about delicious and nutritious.
- Spinach in your omelet: This is another great breakfast option, and it only takes a few minutes to do. Just saute a cup or 2 of spinach in olive oil on the stove top and throw it in your omelet with other veggies or meat.
- Spinach in your wrap or sandwich: This tip is so easy. Simply throw a handful of fresh spinach into your wrap or sandwich; it really adds a tasty crunch!
- Spinach in pasta or stir-fry: Since spinach doesn’t have a very intense flavor, it’s easy to saute it up (again, in olive or avocado oil) and throw it in with any hot homemade meals for supper. You won’t regret it!
- Spinach salad: Great at any time of the day, spinach makes for a terrific salad base. Add any fruits, veggies, or meat you’re craving that day, and a little bit of oil-based dressing, and you’re set.
Our research has not identified the origin of National Spinach Lovers Month.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day with National Day Calendar!