NATIONAL WALKING DAY
The first Wednesday in April is National Walking Day and it encourages Americans of all ages to get out and stretch their legs and get their hearts pumping. The American Heart Association sponsors this day to remind people about the health benefits of taking a walk. Wear your sneakers (or take them with you) to work, and at some point in the day, take a 30-minute walk.
Here are some great ways to make that 30-minutes more enjoyable:
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Take a friend to pass the time.
- Make sure to stretch those muscles.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Move your arms, too.
- Make sure you have good posture.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalWalkingDay
- Take thirty minutes out of your day to go for a walk.
- Find a trail near you or walk around your neighborhood.
- You can also visit a local park or walk on your treadmill.
- Take your canine pals with you, too. They need the cardiovascular workout, too!
- When the family has finished their walk around the block or park, complete this fun word search puzzle.
- Use #NationalWalkingDay to post on social media.
Do you need some visual inspiration while walking on the treadmill? Take this walk along the beach.
NATIONAL WALKING DAY HISTORY
The American Heart Association launched National Walking Day in 2007 as part of its efforts to promote healthy living. For more information visit www.heart.org.
Q. What are the benefits of walking?
A. Walking is one of the best exercises to do. Some of the benefits of walking include:
- Improved cardiovascular health
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Improved flexibility in joints
- Stronger muscles
- Improved mental health
Q. Is walking a good exercise for weight loss?
A. A balanced diet and walking are a great combination for weight loss or maintaining a healthy weight.
6 April 2022
5 April 2023
3 April 2024
2 April 2025
1 April 2026
7 April 2027
5 April 2028
4 April 2029
3 April 2030