NATIONAL ROAD TRIP DAY
The Friday before Memorial Day is declared National Road Trip Day and serves as the official kickoff of the summer road trip season. Millions of Americans hit the road each year over the long weekend to visit friends and family, while paying tribute to our American heroes.
OFFICIAL DESTINATION FOR NATIONAL ROAD TRIP DAY 2023
National Day Calendar is excited to announce Pontiac, IL, as the Official Destination for National Road Trip Day 2023. This year, National Road Trip Day is celebrated on Friday, May 26. Read more…
Americans are anxious to hit the road to kick off the summer road trip season. A recent surveys suggest an overwhelming majority prefer driving as the leading choice for reaching their summer destinations. According to The Vacationer, 80 percent of Americans are going to take a road trip this summer. In fact, most are making plans for Memorial Day weekend and plan on traveling by car.
Whether you’re seeking adventure, visiting family and friends, or making a business connection, road trips are often a rite of passage. National Road Trip day is about making this vacation season all about the journey to the destination.
Road trips that begin and end with happy passengers are always the best. Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Plan ahead. Even a spur of the moment trip requires planning.
- Two in five, or 42 percent of road trippers find travel apps very helpful when planning their trip. Mapping out your stops ahead of time can be a great way to save both time and money.
- The Pilot Flying J’s myRewards PlusTM app allows travelers to tailor their trip routes. In addition, the app helps travelers save on the go by showcasing specific amenities, fuel prices and more.
- Vehicle maintenance is vital to any successful road trip. Beyond the routine maintenance, such as oil changes and sound tires, other simple checks will keep you on the road.
- Check your wipers and wiper fluid.
- Make sure your spare tire and jack are in place.
- Ensure all lights and signals are working.
- Look at the condition of your brake pads.
- Verify your car registration is current or not about to expire.
- Plot your course. Consider construction, fuel and snack stops, shopping, and the interests of the other travelers.
- Prioritize your road trip for convenience and efficiency. About 58 percent of travelers want to stop at all-in-one rest stops that offer gas, food, drinks, coffee, bathrooms, and more.
- Grab your “road trip essential” snacks. These can include chips and salty foods, freshly made or grab-and-go foods, and fast food options.
How do you travel?
There are two kinds of people who take road trips.
- The tourist takes their time getting there and taking the scenic routes.
- The pilot enjoys seeing the country from the car, sets a course, and frowns upon unscheduled stops or side trips. If you’re going together, you might want to discuss a compromise before hitting the road!
No matter the destination, road trips include an element of expectation and rarely disappoint. The best road trips bring us closer to people over a stick of beef jerky and car karaoke. They connect us to places through memories, a postcard, and the kindness of strangers.
HITTING THE ROAD
It is that time of year where families and friends prepare for National Road Trip Day by hitting the road and discovering exciting new destinations. Let the Summer times roll!
NATIONAL ROAD TRIP DAY HISTORY
In 2019, Pilot Flying J began working together to form National Road Trip Day. Flying Pilot Jay is the largest travel center operator in North America. Each year, beginning the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, this National Day kicks off the unofficial first day of the summer travel season.
Pilot Flying J prepares all spring for the summer travel season. They help prepare their guests by providing fuel, food, drinks, and travel necessities to help travelers make it from point A to point B as easily and conveniently as possible. With 750 travel center locations in North America, Pilot Flying J is a convenient, one-stop-shop for travelers, offering clean facilities to shop for an assortment of food and beverages. To learn more about National Road Trip Day, visit Pilotflyingj.com/summer-travels.