NATIONAL RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS DAY
Each year on February 17th, National Random Acts of Kindness Day grows in popularity. It is celebrated by individuals, groups and organizations nationwide to encourage acts of kindness.
The movement of Random Acts of Kindness inspires people every day. As a favorite celebration for many, people everywhere are enjoying doing these acts of kindness. Not only do the acts of kindness bring joy to the receiver, but they spread positive reactions to the giver, too!
“I was a recipient of the kindness but more glad to be a contributor!” (Unknown)
Our research found that the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation celebrates Random Acts of Kindness Week. The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation is an internationally recognized non-profit organization founded upon the powerful belief in kindness and dedicated to providing resources and tools that encourage acts of kindness.
In New Zealand, where this day originated, Random Acts of Kindness Day is celebrated on September 1st. However, it is also recognized by some on other days throughout the year. Nevertheless, doing random acts of kindness is something that can be done every day of the year.
A Few Quotes of Kindness:
- “Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” (Mark Twain)
- “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” (Aesop)
- “Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” (Scott Adams)
- “Kind words and actions can seem so small, but their effects are truly endless.” (Author Unknown)
HOW TO OBSERVE #RandomActsOfKindnessDay
Make a note to do nice things throughout the day. Are you looking for ideas? We’ve collected a few that will get you started.
- Pay for the coffee or meal of the person in front of you in line.
- Leave a kind note for someone, no explanation needed.
- Share words of encouragement. You never know who might need them.
- Put your skills to work for someone in need. For example, offer to create a résumé for someone seeking a new job.
- Drop off a load of groceries at the local food pantry.
- Mail a “thinking of you” card to someone you’ve not to talk to in a while.
- Order a bouquet of flowers to be delivered to anyone in the hospital. That means, call the florist and tell them to pick a hospital or nursing home and deliver flowers to the person the front desk thinks needs it the most. It could be a sick child, an elderly person with no family or a college student down on their luck.
- Send a thank you note to the local fire department, police departments, or any military personnel.
- Just smile.
Share your random acts of kindness using #RandomActsOfKindnessDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS DAY HISTORY
Josh de Jong of New Zealand founded National Random Acts of Kindness Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!