NATIONAL PIZZA WEEK
Those who love pizza will love National Pizza Week, which kicks off the second Sunday in January. The week celebrates one of America’s favorite foods.
It’s no secret that Americans love pizza. In a recent poll, out of 1,000 people, 98% of them said they like pizza. Forty-three percent said that pizza was their favorite fast food. This makes pizza the second most popular fast food, with hamburgers being the most popular.
One of the best things about pizza is its versatility. With a wide variety of crusts and toppings to choose from, it’s easy to customize a pizza to suit individual taste buds. The most popular pizza toppings include cheese, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and bacon. Onions, black olives, green peppers, Canadian bacon, anchovies, goat cheese, chicken, and spinach are also tasty toppings. Some people even prefer pineapple on their pizza.
Pizza isn’t just eaten for lunch or supper. Breakfast pizza topped with eggs, cheese, and bacon is yummy, too. Pizza can even be eaten for dessert. Fruit pizza is made with a sugar cookie crust topped with cream cheese and a variety of fruit. Some favorite fruit toppings include strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, pineapple, and oranges.
Now that you know all the delicious ways to enjoy this versatile food, here are some fun facts about pizza:
- Each day Americans eat 100 acres of pizza or 350 slices per second
- Around the world, over 5 billion pizzas are sold each year
- Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest day for pizza sales.
- We love our thin-crust pizzas. They’re the most popular type of pizza crust.
- When do we eat pizza? Well, Saturday night is the most popular day of the week for eating pizza.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPizzaWeek
Throughout the week, many pizzerias offer carryout and delivery specials. Some even serve up a free slice of pizza. The best way to celebrate the week is to order a pizza. If pizza is your favorite food, why not eat it every day this week? Would you rather make it yourself? Try adding toppings you’ve never tried before. If you have children, get a bunch of toppings and have everyone in the family come up with their own unique combination.
Here are some other ways to participate:
- Host a make-your-own pizza party
- Learn the history of pizza
- Watch a movie with a classic pizza scene including Wayne’s World, Saturday Night Fever, Toy Story, and Back to the Future Part 2
- Read your kids a book about pizza, like Hi, Pizza Man, Pizza-Pie Snowman, Secret Pizza Party, or Pizza at Sally’s.
Share a picture of your favorite kind of pizza on social media with #NationalPizzaWeek
NATIONAL PIZZA WEEK HISTORY
Even though National Day Calendar research hasn’t discovered the founder of this celebration, we continue to #CelebrateEveryDay! We’ll update this page when we find any new information regarding the history of this week.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!