NATIONAL PIZZA MONTH
National Pizza Month in October gives us 31 days to explore the world of pizza and all the flavors it offers. As if we needed any excuse to celebrate and indulge in the delectable, mouthwatering, satisfying meal that is pizza. It’s actually National Pasta Month and Italian-American Heritage Month as well, so feel free to spend October doing some major carb-loading. Pizza surfaced in 1889 when it was made for Italian King Umberto I and Queen Margherita on a trip in Naples. It’s been a fan-favorite in countries all over the world since then, and it’s easy to see why.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPizzaMonth
Order (or make) your favorite pizza, snap a picture, and use #NationalPizzaMonth to post on social media. Can you guess what the most posted food of all time on Instagram is? That’s right. Pizza. Because you can’t argue with its perfection and beauty. Whether you prefer the thick slices of Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza, the thin crusted, more oil based slices of Neapolitan-style, or somewhere in between, pizza should be considered a staple of your diet (because life is short and it makes everything better.) Here are a few extra reasons pizza is the best.
- It’s perfect at any time of day. Breakfast, lunch, or dinner… There’s a specific kind of pizza for whatever you’re looking for.
- Pizza leftovers are just as yummy as fresh pizza. You don’t even have to warm it up to enjoy it on day two!
- It does a phenomenal job of bringing people together. Thinking about having some friends over for drinks this weekend? Tell them you’ll have pizza too. They won’t miss it.
- You can almost always get it delivered to your door within an hour, even in the middle of the night.
- If you’re vegan, vegetarian, or gluten-free, you can still find a pizza that works for you! Pizza doesn’t discriminate.
By the way, I wish I could explain to you all how difficult it’s been for me to write this article. I have seen over 50 pictures of every kind of pizza imaginable and I’m starting to shake, my stomach is growling, and my mouth is watering. Please, if you’re reading this, go have a big slice for me.
NATIONAL PIZZA MONTH HISTORY
National Pizza Month began in October 1984 and was created by the publisher of Pizza Today magazine and pizzeria owner, Gerry Durnell. He chose October because it’s the month the first issue of his magazine debuted. He lived in a small town called Santa Claus, Indiana, and realized there was nothing to support his growing pizza business, or the pizza industry in general. Since he created a pizza-themed magazine, as well as started an official month to celebrate this wonderful food, we thank him from the bottom of our stomachs!
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!