NATIONAL OATMEAL NUT WAFFLES DAY
National Oatmeal Nut Waffles Day on March 11th celebrates a healthier version of the classic waffle. Whole grain oats and chopped nuts mixed into a waffle recipe is a delicious, healthy way to start your morning.
A waffle is a batter-based or dough-based cake cooked in a waffle iron patterned to give a distinctive size, shape, and surface impression. There are many variations based on the type of iron and recipe used. Waffles have been around for centuries, and there are many varieties of them around the world. The oatmeal nut waffle is another flavorful addition to the family for us all to try!
Besides, oatmeal starts a day off right. Add spices, fruit, nuts, or nut butters to add flavor. It’s also a versatile ingredient. And the health benefits of oatmeal are just as good as the flavor.
- A serving of oatmeal daily can lower cholesterol.
- It may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- It may reduce your risk of cancer. (According to the American Cancer Society, eating a diet high in fiber may help reduce your risk for cancer.)
- The grain is low in fat.
- Oatmeal is low in calories.
- Add oatmeal to your diet as a good source of iron and fiber.
HOW TO OBSERVE #OatmealNutWafflesDay
- Mix up a batch of oatmeal nut waffles for the whole family.
- Start the morning off right with maple syrup and fresh berries, too.
- Top with bananas or your favorite nut butter.
- Make several batches ahead and freeze them so they’re ready for busy mornings.
- They also make a great snack, especially for tiny hands.
- Enjoy this recipe for Banana Oatmeal Nut Waffles.
- Use #OatmealNutWafflesDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL OATMEAL NUT WAFFLE HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to research the origins of this flavorful food holiday.
Oatmeal Nut Waffle FAQ
Q. Can prepared waffles be frozen?
A. Yes. Seal in an airtight freezer-safe container before freezing. Heat them up in the toaster, toaster oven or oven for best results.
Q. Are all waffles shaped the same?
A. No. Waffles irons determine the shape of a waffle and they come in a variety of designs.
Q. Are waffle and pancake batters the same?
A. No. Waffle batter contains about twice as much fat and sugar as pancake batter. The additional fat and sugar are what make waffles crispy on the outside.