NATIONAL KITTEN DAY
National Kitten Day on July 10th purrfectly celebrates the cuddly warmth of a kitty. The miniature furballs of energy snuggle their way into our hearts with no effort all. Within a flick of their tiny ears, we’re in love.
The day aims to remind us that while kittens are well equipped to find their way into our hearts, many don’t find homes. They’re abandoned at shelters, on the side of the road or wild and feral. Spaying and neutering our pets, including our cats, is vital to their health and keeping the stray population down.
Another goal of awareness campaigns like this one is to encourage adoptions. Instead of purchasing a kitten from a pet store, adopt from a shelter. Many kittens are born in shelters. While their ages may vary, all kittens do become cats.
Follow the shelter’s guidelines. Keep these tips in mind when adopting:
- There’s an application process. Read through it and understand it. The guidelines are for the safety of the animals, the employees, and you.
- Ask questions. It’s important there’s an understanding between you and the shelter. Most shelters have volunteers and paid employees. However, they work on a very tight budget. Please don’t expect any special accommodations.
- A good shelter will place the interests of the animal first. They want the cat to have a successful placement. Some animals have anxiety while others get along with anyone and every type of animal.
- Consider the size of your home and where you live – an apartment or house.
- Who lives with you? That includes people and pets – does everyone get along and does anyone have allergies?
- How much time do you have for a pet?
- So you’ve spotted the kitten for you. Be sure to make several visits to the shelter. Play with the kitten. Spend time grooming them. See how the kitten reacts to other cats. Learn the kitten’s behavior.
Maybe Fuzzy Bear has health issues or doesn’t get along with children. Perhaps another kitten gets along better with dogs. All these factors will be considered on your application.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalKittenDay
Play with your kitten or bring her a new toy. Share a selfie with your kitten. Visit a shelter and volunteer your time. If you are considering getting a kitten, adopt instead of purchasing one. Use #NationalKittenDay to share your story.
NATIONAL KITTEN DAY HISTORY
Colleen Paige, Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert, Author, and Animal Advocate, founded National Kitten Day to encourage adoption and celebrate the joy kittens bring to our lives.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!