NATIONAL DO SOMETHING NICE DAY
Each year on October 5, people across the nation observe National Do Something Nice Day.
This observance is very similar to National Random Acts of Kindness Day, which is celebrated on February 17.
It would be ideal if everyone lived their lives doing kind things on a daily basis and without thinking about it. We all get caught up in our fast-paced lifestyles. However, kindness should never be sacrificed to get ahead in the world. Kindness doesn’t require grand gestures. Though, when able, those are acceptable, too.
Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark
In a matter of seconds, we hold the power to change the course of a person’s day by being nice. The person’s day in question might even be our own. Some things that takes very little time at all and almost no effort include:
- Noticing someone’s signal in traffic and allowing them into your lane
- Picking up the neighbor’s newspaper on your daily walk and placing it within easy reach
- Opening a door for another person
- Giving your place in line to the person with only three items
- Tipping your service staff an extra dollar or two more than you usually would
- Give a compliment
- Encourage a student with an idea for a solution
- Read to a child
- Listen to someone who is lonely
HOW TO OBSERVE #DoSomethingNiceDay
Do something nice. The something can be anything from buying a cup of coffee for someone in line at the coffee shop to giving a compliment to the tired clerk. Maybe the day calls for sending flowers with a card that says “just because,” or asking the neighbors over for a barbecue in the backyard or mowing the lawn for someone. Use #DoSomethingNiceDay to post on social media.
We do encourage our readers to learn about the inspirational story of Eva Kor here: The Story of Eva.
NATIONAL DO SOMETHING NICE DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar® continues researching the origins of this helpful holiday.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!