NATIONAL CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM DAY
On May 10th, spring cleaners get their wish granted with the annual observance called National Clean Up Your Room Day. This parent appreciated day is often dreaded by their children. Though, some years, the timing makes it the perfect gift for Mother’s Day!
However, the observance isn’t aimed only at kids. It is about picking up, straightening up and cleaning up. Serious spring cleaning takes place and homes get aired out. Organize, de-clutter, and rearrange. Fix the broken. Find missing parts and put like with like. Clean out a cluttered closet and donate or throw away those things you are not using. Help your children make their beds, clean their rooms, and eliminate the toys and clothing they have outgrown.
Garages, sheds, and cabinets see the light of day. Drawers, closets (did we say that already), and under the bed get thoroughly organized. Find ways to repurpose items around the house, too. Look at old things in new ways:
- Use an old towel bar on your potting bench and hang S hooks to store your tools.
- Broken dresser drawers become bookshelves or under bed storage.
- How many ways can you repurpose an unused wine rack?
- storage for towels in the bathroom
- take it to the craft area for all the small tools, glue and yarn
- store water bottles and travel mugs
- Tissue boxes make terrific storage for plastic bags, but they also work well for used dryer sheets. Reuse the dryer sheets to wipe down the washer and dryer to keep it dust-free and to clean out the lint trap.
- Use old magazine racks to store cutting boards, baking sheets, and other flat kitchen items.
HOW TO OBSERVE #CleanUpYourRoomDay
Spend some time getting your home looking and feeling clean and fresh for summer. Post photos on social media using #CleanUpYourRoomDay.
NATIONAL CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues researching the origins of this spruced up day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!