NATIONAL CHERRY TURNOVER DAY
National Cherry Turnover Day on August 28th praises a tasty and sweet hand pie. These cherry-filled pastries are best enjoyed hot. However, like any pie, many eat them at room temperature, too. Add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. No doubt your enjoyment will be doubled.
Cherry turnovers are a pastry made by placing a cherry filling on a piece of dough. The dough is folded over and sealed. Then, the individual turnovers are baked or deep-fried for a golden and flaky crust. Tart cherries make the best pies. Since they need added sugar to be palatable, their juices meld with the sugar when baking. The results are tasty perfection!
A turnover a single serving. They fit nicely in a hand, making them portable. Another name for turnover is hand pie. However, we recommend a fork and plate when eating them piping hot.
Cherries on their own offer a bounty of nutrients. For example, the antioxidants in this red fruit protect cells from damage. Because cherries pack an anti-inflammatory punch, they may help reduce the risk of heart disease, too. Find out more about the benefits of cherries, tart or sweet at Nutrition and You.
FUN CHERRY FACTS:
- Related to plums, peaches, and nectarines, cherries are drupes or stone fruits.
- Cherries were brought to North America in the 1600s by the English colonists.
- There are more than 1,000 varieties of cherries in the United States.
- There is an average of 44 cherries in one pound.
More National Cherry Holidays:
National Cherry Turnover Day turns out not being the only National Day we celebrate containing cherries, take a look at these as well…
- January 3rd is National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day.
- April 23rd is National Cherry Cheesecake Day.
- May 17th is National Cherry Cobbler Day.
- September 24th is National Cherries Jubilee Day.
HOW TO OBSERVE #CherryTurnoverDay
Following are a few cherry turnover recipes for you to enjoy
Use #CherryTurnoverDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL CHERRY TURNOVER DAY HISTORY
We were unable to find the creator of National Cherry Turnover Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!