NATIONAL BARBECUED SPARERIBS DAY
Get the charcoals ready as we observe National Barbecued Spareribs Day across the nation annually on July 4th.
One of the most popular days to barbecue and grill, July 4th will have the back yards, patios, and beaches heating up with the flavors of spareribs. While steak is great, these inexpensive cuts of pork or beef ribs can be seasoned with spice rubs and sauces.
For the best barbecued spareribs, follow these tips for tender, delicious ribs every time.
- Select the right meat – Choose ribs with meat all over the bone. Fat is ok, just make sure it’s balanced, too. When you find ribs that have fat at one end, walk on by.
- Get enough – Nobody likes missing out. Half a slab per adult should be enough.
- Use a dry rub – Rubs vary. Use one that meets your family’s preferences. Apply the rub before you put the ribs on the grill, but there’s no need to let the ribs marinate in the seasonings for long.
- Low heat – The temperature of the grill should be around 200° F.
- Indirect heat – Whether you’re using charcoal or gas, the important thing to remember is to place the ribs opposite of where the coals or burners are lit.
- Use tongs – Forks will pierce the meat, letting the juices out. Turn the ribs every 20-30 minutes.
- Add sauce – When there are about 40-45 minutes of cooking time left, add the barbecue sauce. Again, use the sauce that best fits your family’s preferences.
- Rest the ribs – 15 minutes will let the meat absorb the juices that heat has forced to the outer surface. The end result is a juicier, more tender rib.
When eating spareribs, don’t wear your Sunday best. While some manners go out the window, try to maintain some decorum. Eat this sweet and messy deliciousness with your fingers, but carry plenty of napkins. Wiping your hands on your shirt is a no-no. The better the ribs, the more napkins you will need.
HOW TO OBSERVE #BarbecuedSpareribsDay
Come share your favorite BBQ recipe with us on our National Day Recipes page!
Give this sparerib recipe or dry rub recipe a try and enjoy the Independence Day weekend! Beyond the recipes, be sure to celebrate with friends and family. This day, as well as many others, offer the opportunity to socialize and share your BBQ and grilling talents. Impart some wisdom while you’re out there tending the ribs and the next generation will be ready to take the tongs!
If you’re just starting out, check out these 7 Hot BBQ Tips to get you started. Share your best barbecued spareribs on social media using #BarbecuedSpareribsDay.
NATIONAL BARBECUED SPARERIBS DAY HISTORY
We were unable to identify the creator of National Barbecued Spareribs Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!