7 HOT BBQ TIPS
7 Hot BBQ Tips – Keeping our cool while barbequing has more to do with how we approach the BBQ than the temperature. These 7 barbequing tips will allow your centerpiece of the meal to shine while also letting you take all the credit.
1. Use the right tools
When it comes to authentic BBQ, the right tools go a long way toward securing juicy and delicious flavor. Each tool serves a purpose and helps to preserve flavor and tenderness.
- Tongs – When it comes to BBQ and grilling, turning your food instead of stabbing, it keeps the juices right where you want them to be – inside the meat and not dripping on your grill. Be sure your tongs stainless steel, spring-loaded and are made with wood handles. No one wants melted plastic anywhere near their grill.
- Basting brush – There are a variety of basting brushes to choose from. However, when it comes to getting the sauce on your proteins, you’ll want to invest in something with a longer handle (6 inches at least) and a broader brush. If you’re looking for the quickest cleanup, make it dishwasher safe, too.
- Instant read thermometer – Knowing when your meat is up to temperature is essential for safety and tenderness. You don’t want to overcook your proteins, or they’ll be tough. And even a few extra seconds on the grill can make a difference between being done and overdone. An instant-read thermometer gives you the control.
- Charcoal vs. gas – Those who dedicate a lot of time and effort into BBQ swear that charcoal will bring you the best flavor over gas.
- Grill Mitts – Pick out gloves that are easy to get on and off but offer the protection you need over hot flames. Whether they are leather, silicone, or fabric, you’ll want to protect your hands and have enough grip to lift and move your meats as needed.
- Claws – Meat claws come in handy for shredding meat quickly. This is a must-have, especially when your specialty is any pulled meat.
2. Find the right recipe
This may take time, but finding a recipe that fits your crowd will be vital to mastering the BBQ. From the rub to the sauce, pick combinations that suit your flair for spice, heat, and sweet. Hundreds of recipes offer a wide variety of options to choose from. Once you found one or two you enjoy, begin to experiment with your own spice mixtures, smoke flavors, and sauces. Gradually, you will develop your own unique blends that work for you.
3. Serve delicious side dishes
When choosing side dishes, think summer! Fresh, local ingredients hit the spot for many barbecues. Classic salads, vegetables, and pickled dishes complement smoke and spice of the barbecue. Coleslaw, baked beans, and grilled corn scream barbecue. But don’t hesitate to add vegetable kabobs, grilled salad ingredients, and fresh melons to the menu. Tangy, sweet, and spicy ingredients go well with just about any of summer’s bounty.
4. Low and slow
To achieve the tenderest and most flavorful barbecue, cook it slowly and over low heat. It takes patience to barbecue. This rule applies to nearly every cut of meat. If it’s not low and slow, you’re grilling. And there’s nothing wrong with grilling, but it takes a particular amount of fortitude to do barbecue right.
5. Soak it
If you’re using skewers or wood chips to smoke your meat, soak them in water for 30 minutes first. Soaking allows the wood to smolder instead of outright burn. It also lengthens the burn time. With wood chips, this will enable you to smoke your meat longer.
Once your meat is cooked, let it rest for about 5 minutes, 10-20 minutes for large cuts of meat. This allows the meat to absorb the juices back into the center of the cut.
7. Clean up
To make your barbecuing experience more pleasurable, start and finish with a clean grill. Burn off any excess food. Use a grill brush after every use and then wipe it down to remove residue or any fallen bristles. Then protect your grates by rubbing a little vegetable oil on them.
If you’re just starting, barbecuing can seem overwhelming. It can be an investment. However, these 7 Hot BBQ Tips will point you in the right direction!
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar!®