MEDIA ALERT | NEW DAY PROCLAMATION | INTERNATIONAL VOLKSWAGEN® BUS DAY | June 2
Today is not only June 2, it is also International Volkswagen Bus Day and we are celebrating an iconic past while taking a ride into the future. Come along as we celebrate a global icon with an unmistakable design that has brought smiles to the faces of generations–the Volkswagen Bus.
The Volkswagen Type 2, better known as simply the Volkswagen Bus (VW Bus), is an automotive icon that continues to captivate people from around the globe. Introduced in 1950, it has become a vehicular symbol of a counterculture movement.
The original Volkswagen Bus design was specifically for commercial use. However, it would quickly adapt to a family vehicle because of its ability to transport people comfortably. Interestingly, the bus has also been used for a wide variety of other applications, including campers, ambulances, and even a mobile recording studio. In fact, the most famous and well-known association for the VW Bus may be its association with the 1960s era. This is especially true after the bus became a cultural icon for those in attendance to the Woodstock Music & Arts Festival in 1969.
Volkswagen ID. Buzz Arrives in America
On June 2, 2023, Volkswagen of America will introduce a modern-day reincarnation of the Volkswagen Bus-–the ID. Buzz to the general public. The new ID. Buzz brings the nostalgic vibes of the original Volkswagen Bus into the 21st century. The ID. Buzz is an all-new, all-electric version of the beloved VW Bus classic.
5 Fun Volkswagen Bus Facts
- Since the 1960s, the VW Bus has been an inspiration for art, including paintings and photographs.
- The VW Bus will forever be associated as a “hippie van” because of the impact it had while traveling to Woodstock in 1969.
- The VW Bus has been popular in television and film, including That ’70s Show and Cars, the animated film by Pixar.
- The VW Bus has a huge enthusiast following. In fact, the bus is often a main feature in car rallies and shows around the world.
- The original VW Bus is a highly sought after vehicle for car collectors and vehicle restoration specialists. The rarity of finding an original VW Bus is becoming harder and harder.
JOIN THE CELEBRATION
- Share you photos, stories, and memories about your VW Bus on social media using #VWBusDay.
- Join Volkswagen Bus owners and enthusiasts, media influencers, and the general public on June 2 in Huntington Beach, California to celebrate International Volkswagen Bus Day.
- Take a road trip in your Volkswagen Bus with your family.
- Attend a car show and register your VW Bus to be in the show.
- Attend an car auction to see how the VW Bus and other VW vehicles sell to collectors and buyers.
- Learn about the great features the new ID. Buzz will offer consumers.
HISTORY IN THE MAKING
National Day Calendar and Volkswagen of America began a collaboration to establish International Volkswagen Bus Day to be celebrated each year on June 2. This International Day celebrates the iconic Volkswagen Bus and the new ID. Buzz, bringing smiles to the faces of generations, past, present, future.
Volkswagen of America is committed to the heritage of the Volkswagen Bus.
Are there any museums I can see vehicles from the Volkswagen through the years? Absolutely! There are a few museums in the U.S. where you can see a variety of VW vehicles and here is our shortlist:
- The Petersen Museum | Los Angeles, CA
- America’s Car Museum | Tacoma, WA
- Museum of Drag Racing | Ocala, FL
- Volo Museum | Volo, IL
- The National Automobile Museum | Reno, NV