International Snowmobile Ride Day | Second Saturday in February
The second Saturday in February is International Snowmobile Ride Day as a day to encourage everyone to bundle up for an exciting adventure outside on a snowmobile.
International Snowmobile Ride Day is the perfect day for everyone to get outside and experience the outdoors during the winter months. In fact, we can’t think of a better way to see the beauty of winter than while riding a snowmobile. Besides providing an opportunity to view the winter wonderland around you, riding a snowmobile is also a great way for families to get together for fun during the long, winter months.
What is a snowmobile? A snowmobile is a motorized vehicle designed to operate on snow or ice, using tracks or runners on the bottom to move the machine. Snowmobiles do not travel on the open road, but instead on open terrain or on trails. The design is specific for use during the winter months for travel and recreation. Depending on where you live, a snowmobile can go by several other names:
- Motor Sled
Winter is one of the most beautiful seasons. Many people miss out on that beauty because of the cold. However, snowmobiling is the perfect activity to experience that beauty. Riding snowmobile can take you over hundreds of miles of hard-to-reach landscapes. In fact, snowmobiling allows you to explore gorgeous scenery of snow covered hills, plains, and mountain trails. Imagine traveling on a trail and you stop to overlook a canyon as the sun goes down. The glow of the winter sun emitting off of pure white snow looks like miles and miles of sparkling gems glowing in different hues of red, orange, and yellow.
Driving a snowmobile is easy to learn. Whether you are a part of a snowmobiling club or you ride as a hobby, anyone can ride a snowmobile. The entire family, from kids to grandparents, can learn to drive a snowmobile quickly by simply pushing buttons. Once you learn the basic parts of a snowmobile, you will be on the trail in no time making winter fun again and making memories that will last you a life time.
- Join a snowmobile club.
- Plan a day of trail riding with your family and friends.
- Teach a snowmobile safety course.
- Learn about the different varieties of snowmobiles on the market.
- Document your trail ride and post to social media using #SnowmobileRideDay.
In 2022, BRP, Inc. joined the National Day Calendar Founder Family establishing International Snowmobile Ride Day. This family-fun winter day is to be celebrated each year on the second Saturday in February. As stand-alone company, BRP, Inc. has brought an impressive portfolio of products that has been enabling unforgettable experiences for their customers for decades.
In 1937, Joseph-Armand Bombardier was granted a patent for the first ever vehicle that could travel on snow. Developed in his garage in Valcourt, Quebec, Bombardier worked through his personal determination and daring ideas. In 1942, a second, larger vehicle followed his patent. This led to Bombardier founding his own company that same year. The company became known as L’Auto-Neige Bombardier Limité.
Over the years, J.-A. Bombardier refines his own design and launches the Ski-Doo in 1959, which was powered by a Kohler motor. This innovative product created a new sport that became known as snowmobiling. In the years to follow, Bombardier would seek to consistently innovate new machines by exploring every playground and revolutionizing the powersports industry. Today, the BRP, Inc. riders can be transported on snow, on water, on the ground, and even in the air. United by their passion to keep moving forward towards new adventures, BRP, Inc. gives their customers around the world the power to create their best memories.
- 1942 – Start up of Auto-neige Bombardier Ltd.
- 1959 – Industry-first Ski-Doo snowmobile.
- 1968 – Industry-first Sea-Doo PWC.
- 1970 – Acquisition of the Austrian Rotax brand.
- 1989 – Acquisition of the Nordtrac Oy and Lynx brand.
- 1998 – Bombardier enters the ATV market.
- 2001 – Acquisition of the Evinrude and Johnson brands.
- 2003 – Bombardier sells its Recreational Products division; BRP is officially launched.
- 2007 – Industry-first three-wheel vehicle .
- 2010 – BRP enters the side-by-side vehicle market
- 2013 – BRP’s Initial Public Offering.
- 2018 – Acquisition of the Alumacraft and Manitou Brands.
- 2018 – BRP enters the Nasdaq.
- 2019 – Acquisition of Australian boat manufacturer Telwater.
- 2020 – BRP refocuses its marine business; Discontinuation of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G3 outboard engines.