INTERNATIONAL MOMENT OF LAUGHTER DAY
April 14 every year is International Moment of Laughter Day, a day to remind people to laugh out loud every day. Originator Izzy Gesell says laughing out loud is as essential as breathing. He says, “Laughter comes right after breathing as just about the healthiest thing you can do. It relieves stress, instills optimism, raises self-confidence, defuses resistance to change, and enhances all your relationships.”If laughing isn’t your thing, try doing one of these:
HOW TO OBSERVE
Make it a goal to laugh, make someone laugh and share a laugh! Here are some ideas on how to do that. Be sure to use #MomementOfLaughterDay to share your laughter and ideas on social media.
- laugh out loud at the funny cards in a greeting card shop
- share a funny story with a friend
- buy a “laugh-box” in a joke shop and turning it on at work or at home
- show your baby pictures to someone who’s never seen them
- think up your own way to get someone else to laugh with you
- laugh for no apparent reason at all
- watch laughing baby videos
- go to a comedy show
- ask a 4-year-old to tell you a joke
International Moment of Laughter Day was dreamed up in 1997 by author, professional speaker, and humor consultant, Izzy Gesell.