INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY
International Men’s Day on November 19th is a chance for men around the globe to teach the boys in their lives the values, character, and responsibilities of being a man. On this day, male role models are invited to set examples of health, well-being, and integrity for young men.
The six primary components of International Men’s Day include:
- Focus on health
- Improve gender relations
- Encourage gender equality
- Highlight male role models
- Celebrate achievements and contributions
- Promote basic humanitarian values
When men lead by example, they help to create a fair and safe society. Their positive actions allow everyone to prosper.
Men celebrating International Men’s Day should not only be thinking about how they can positively influence their sons but other boys as well. These include boys without a father or who do not have a male role model to guide them through life.
HOW TO OBSERVE #InternationalMensDay
This day is celebrated in over 80 countries, including Jamaica, India, the United States, Cayman Islands, Norway, and Pakistan. Events held include sports tournaments, health fairs, prayer meetings, panel discussions on men’s issues, concerts, fundraisers, and tributes to male role models.
- Encourage men to lead their families and communities.
- Thank a man who has helped you achieve your goals.
- Find positive role models for your boys
- Watch movies positively depicting men, including Sully, The Great Escape, and Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Learn about influential men in history, including Sir Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, and Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Volunteer for an organization where you can have a positive influence on a boy’s life.
- Donate to a nonprofit organization that strives to better the lives of young men.
Give a shout out to one of your favorite men on social media. When doing so, be sure to share it with #InternationalMensDay.
INTERNATIONAL MEN’S DAY HISTORY
Jerome Teelucksingh, a lecturer of history at the University of the West Indies in Trinidad Tobago, founded International Men’s Day in 1999. He was simply answering a call from as far back as the 1960s for a day to celebrate the accomplishments of men. Discover more visiting the website.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!