FALLING NEEDLES FAMILY FEST DAY
Falling Needles Family Fest Day on December 30th serves as a reminder to clean up and recycle the live Christmas tree.
- Every state offers recycling options, many with pick up.
- Mulch the tree for bedding around your home or donate to mulching programs.
- Before recycling, you can provide shelter to birds and use the tree as a place to hang treats to feed them. The tree will need some anchoring – See this article from Purdue University for more details. When winter is over, you can still use the tree for other recycling needs.
- After your tree provided shelter to the birds, it can also offer shelter to the fish, too. In ponds and lakes, trees are used to create protection for spawning and feeding.
- While your tree should never be burned in a wood stove or fireplace indoors due to the type of oils in fir and evergreen trees, the tree may be chopped and used in the firepit outdoors.
- Depending on where you live, Christmas trees may be used as soil erosion barriers for lakes, rivers, and dunes.
HOW TO OBSERVE #FallingNeedlesFamilyFestDay
Get the family together and clean up after the Christmas Tree. Plan to recycle your tree and learn more about your options. Use #FallingNeedlesFamilyFestDay to post on social media.
FALLING NEEDLES FAMILY FEST DAY HISTORY
Thomas and Ruth Roy at Wellcat.com created this awareness holiday.
December 30th Celebrated (and Not So Celebrated) History
Playing for the Montreal Victorias, Canadian forward Ernie McLea made Stanley Cup history when he scores the first-ever hat trick in tournament history. He also scored the Cup-winning goal leading Montreal over Winnipeg 6-5.
At the General Motors Fisher Body Plant Number One in Flint, Michigan, 136,000 union workers stage the first United Auto Workers union sit-down strike.
According to a United Press International report a letter arrived at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA addressed to Michael M. Mouse from “The Office of the Director, Selective Service System.” The letter reminded Mickey Mouse that he was in danger of becoming a draft dodger if he didn’t comply with the Military Selective Service Act and provided the requested information. According to the article, a Disney spokesperson said, “We’ll notify them that at 52 he’s well over the draft age. And Besides, he’s a World War II veteran. I suppose we’ll also have to point out he’s only a cartoon character.”
December 30th Celebrated (and Not So Celebrated) Birthdays
Asa Griggs Candler – 1851
In 1877, Chandler purchased the formula for Coca-Cola from John S. Pemberton. Under Chandler’s stewardship, the soft drink became a household name with a trademarked bottle.
John N. Bahcall – 1934
The Princeton astrophysicist and astronomer made several contributions to science including award-winning work developing the Hubble Space Telescope.
Tiger Woods – 1975
The professional American golfer is tied with Sam Snead as the winningest PGA golfer at 82 wins. In 2001, Woods became the first player to consecutively win all four major golf tournaments. They include the Masters, the U.S. Open, the British Open, and the PGA Championship.
Kevin Systrom – 1983
In 2010, Systrom and Mike Krieger created the photo-sharing app Instagram.