NATIONAL HOLE IN MY BUCKET DAY
On May 30th of each year, National Hole in My Bucket Day is observed. This wacky holiday is in honor of the fun children’s song; There’s a Hole in My Bucket.
The song which has origins in 1700 Germany, is about a back and forth conversation between Henry and Liza. Henry needs to fix his leaky bucket. In each stanza, Henry asks Liza for advice. In the end, he needs a bucket to carry water to repair his bucket.
While this annual event was inspired by a song concerned with fixing a leaky bucket, there are other ways to celebrate this day. We all know it’s a bit of a bummer when a once serviceable bucket gets a hole. But not all is lost. Holey buckets still serve a purpose. While they may no longer hold liquids (or hold them well), they do still maintain volumes of mass. Depending on where the hole is, it can do many jobs.
- Buckets of many sizes make excellent planters, especially for garden vegetables that sow deep roots.
- Fill it with concrete to hold a PVC pipe. Then you’ll have a sturdy umbrella stand.
- Make a garden seat for weeding the flower beds, and you’ll have storage for your tools, too. It doesn’t take a lot of skill to make a padded covered seat out of the lid.
- Create a compost bin. Even with a hole in it, you’ll be able to make terrific, nutrient-rich compost for your garden.
- Old galvanized buckets make excellent décor on the patio or in your home. Use them as light shades or side tables.
- Build a birdhouse, bird feeder, bird or butterfly bath.
- Storage, storage, storage. Buckets of all kinds can be dressed up and used to store tools, outdoor toys, and gear.
So sing the song while you repurpose your leaky bucket.
HOW TO OBSERVE #HoleInMyBucketDay
How many ways can you reuse a leaky bucket? Show us how by using #HoleInMyBucketDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL HOLE IN MY BUCKET DAY HISTORY
We were unable to find the origin of National Hole in My Bucket Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!