NATIONAL ENCOURAGE A YOUNG WRITER DAY
Observed each year on April 10th is National Encourage a Young Writer Day. Do you know a young person who has a vivid imagination, maybe someone who likes to tell stories and reads a lot of books? These may be the signs of a great young writer.
National Encourage a Young Writer Day would be a good time to talk to them about their ideas and dreams. Encourage them to pursue their goals and develop their writing skills.
HOW TO OBSERVE #EncourageAYoungWriterDay
Ways to support a young writer:
- Give a journal. A journal provides a place for daily writing. From short poems to inspired essays, this is a place young writers can feel free to stretch their wings unjudged.
- Offer writing prompts. These random bits of inspiration can come from the most unlikely sources but often generate unexpected results. Prompts are available all over the web, as well as in books and apps.
- Encourage them to read. The more they read, their experience with writing and writers will expand.
- Have young writers try multiple writing styles and different voices. Changing perspective will keep their writing fresh, allowing them an opportunity to find their personal style.
- Create a young writers group. It’s a good way to see their story from the reader’s point of view and to receive feedback from peers.
Give a young writer some encouragement and use #EncourageAYoungWriterDay to post on social media.
Educators, visit the National Day Calendar Classroom to see a lesson to Encourage A Young Writer, too!
NATIONAL ENCOURAGE A YOUNG WRITER DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to research the origins of this writing prompt day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!