WORLD TABLE TENNIS DAY
Every year on April 6th, World Table Tennis Day promotes social inclusion and unity through table tennis. It’s also a day to encourage people around the world to get involved in this sport.
Another name for table tennis is ping-pong. Some people also know this sport as whiff-whaff. The game is based on tennis. However, table tennis is played indoors with the use of small paddles. There is a net in the middle of the table in which players bounce the ball over. Table tennis can either be played with 2 players or 4. Not only is table tennis fun, but there are also many benefits of playing the game.
Some benefits of playing table tennis include:
- Improves reflexes
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Tones the core muscles as well as the upper and lower body
- Provides a great cardio workout
- Burns calories
- Offers a chance to socialize with others
- Helps players build speed and agility
Table tennis is also easy on the joints. This means there is a low risk of injury while playing the sport.
Some people only think of table tennis as a fun game to play. However, many play the game competitively. In fact, table tennis is even played in the Olympics. The sport made its Olympic debut in 1988 in Seoul, South Korea. The best table tennis players can make the ball travel over 60 mph. If you’re looking for a fun sport to watch in the next Olympics, be sure to check out table tennis. It’s also a great game to start playing if you want to get in shape or have some competitive fun.
HOW TO OBSERVE #WorldTableTennisDay
On this day table tennis competitions and events are held all over the world. These events take place in gyms, schools, workplaces, bars, and shopping centers. This is also a great day for table tennis organizations to promote the idea that everyone can play table tennis. This includes all people in terms of gender, age, culture, social status, and physical ability.
- Find a place to play a game of table tennis with a friend, family member, or co-worker.
- Learn about the origin of table tennis and find out the similarities and differences to tennis.
- Watch videos online of some great table tennis matches.
- Think about getting a ping-pong table for your rec room.
- Read about the top table tennis players of all time including Jan Ove Waldner from Sweden, Qiao Hong from China, and Kanak Jha from the United States.
Spread awareness for this day on social media with #WorldTableTennisDay.
WORLD TABLE TENNIS DAY HISTORY
The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) created World Table Tennis Day on April 6th, 2015.