WORLD DEVELOPMENT INFORMATION DAY
World Development Information Day is celebrated annually on October 24th. The day focuses on improving the dissemination of information and mobilizing public opinion, especially among young people.
The primary goal for improving the dissemination of information and mobilizing public opinion is to create awareness for problems of development. Once the world brings its attention to the issues of development, countries around the world are better equipped to solve such problems.
The General Assembly believes information and communication technologies are vital to solving development problems. This is especially true in the context of globalization. New solutions to development challenges have the potential to foster economic growth, increase access to information and knowledge, improve social inclusion, and eradicate poverty.
In 2016, world leaders launched their 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The 17 sustainable development goals include:
- To end poverty
- To end hunger and improve sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being
- Ensure inclusive and quality education
- Achieve gender equality
- Ensure the availability of water and sanitation
- Ensure access to affordable energy
- Build resilient infrastructure
- Reduce inequality
- Make all cities inclusive and safe
- Ensure sustainable consumption
- Combat climate change
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans and marine resources
- Protect and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems
- Promote peaceful societies and provide access to justice
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
To achieve all of these goals, the UN needs to implement improved communication and information dissemination. World leaders hope that improvements in modern technology will also help to achieve these goals.
HOW TO OBSERVE #WorldDevelopmentInformationDay
The UN holds a variety of events that focus on the problems of development and achieving their sustainable development goals. These events include educational seminars and conferences. Since the emphasis is on information, many events focus on journalists working across types of media.
To participate in World Development Information Day, think of how you can do your part to achieve some of the sustainable development goals in your community. Discuss the importance of getting the word out and garnering public opinion to achieve specific goals. Think about how improvements in technology and communication aids global development. Spread awareness on social media with #WorldDevelomentInformationDay
WORLD DEVELOPMENT INFORMATION DAY HISTORY
The United Nations established World Development Information Day in 1972. The Assembly decided to make the day coincide with United Nations Day. Both days are observed on October 24th. This is the same date that in 1970, the UN adopted the International Development Strategy for the Second United Nations Development Decade.