Vegetarian Month is an annual designation observed in October. Even if you’re a meat eater, now’s the time to give some vegetarian recipes a try! As you probably know, vegetarianism is hugely popular among the millennial crowd. However, you may NOT know that it’s been around since before recorded history. Crazy, right? It’s one of the oldest diets in the book.
- A vegetarian diet is rich in antioxidants and vitamins. Lifestyles that are high in fruits, veggies, and other plant-based foods provide some of the most essential nutrients we need.
- Eating less meat supports heart health because it helps lower inflammation, and is high in dietary fiber. Plant-based foods can also significantly lower body mass index, which also promotes a healthy heart.
- Vegetarian diets can also help with weight loss if you keep processed carbs out along with the meat. If most of what you eat is fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and seeds, it can actually be quite easy to lose weight.
- Cutting out meat may help to reduce your risk of diabetes, according to Loma Linda University School of Public Health.
- Finally, contrary to popular belief, you can still get plenty of protein on a vegetarian diet. If you do it right, it easily satisfies all of your nutritional needs.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Make a point to eat less meat this month. Don’t knock it ’til you try it! Make the yummiest (and prettiest) vegetarian meal you can find, and use #VegetarianMonth to post it on social media. If you don’t think you can go an entire month without it, that’s okay. Start out by trying Meatless Mondays. Do some online digging to find a few plant-based meals that you think sound tasty, and try cooking some of them up! And if you want some added incentives, here are a few things to remember. Meat is expensive; experts say vegetarians live longer, and… ice cream AND cheese pizza are vegetarian.
Celebrating this for an entire month stemmed from World Vegetarian Day, which was established by the North American Vegetarian Society on October 1st, 1977. But, vegetarianism itself dates back to a time before recorded history.
If you happen to fall in love with eating vegetarian this month, don’t worry… you can take it a step further for your next challenge. November 1st kicks off vegan month. Good luck!