NATIONAL PERSONAL SPACE DAY
National Personal Space Day on November 30th promotes kindness toward sensitivities and supports healing by recognizing everyone’s right to decide when and how to be touched, or not.
Touch can hurt. Germs can harm.
The day provides an opportunity to be aware of a person’s unspoken need for space or a gentler touch. When you see someone wearing the peach symbol, forgo the handshake or hug and offer a genuine smile instead and offer another way to show you care.
National Personal Space Day encourages the use of the effective symbol to essentially say, “I need a little space today,” without awkwardness or hurt feelings. This symbol, the Peach, kindly raises the voice of the wearer. The mission is working to change the way people show they care. After all, we’re well into the 21st century, a reflective time regarding our own personal space while helping us understand the boundaries of others.
Everyone has a story to tell of a time in their lives when they suffered from well-intentioned but unwelcome touch: whether struggling with a crowded new work environment, grieving, while healing after surgery, receiving chemotherapy, or simply wanting more space to help protect them from germs or sensitivities.
HOW TO OBSERVE #PersonalSpaceDay
- Share your story
We want to hear your story.
- Do others intrude on your personal space?
- Are you or someone you love immunocompromised?
- Do you suffer from a chronic pain condition, anxiety, or another condition that makes touch painful, or germs harmful?
- Are you a family bonding with your new wee one?
- Does someone in your family need a safe space?
- Are you a caregiver for someone who needs to avoid touch?
Share using #PersonalSpaceDay and follow the hashtag to learn more. Visit the Give Space Facebook page to share your story and add a picture of you or someone you love who needs space in the National Personal Space Day Facebook frame. Tweet or IG a picture, too! We would love to hear your story and a picture – of you or someone you love who needs space.
- Attend an event or host an event
- Visit Give Space @ https://givespacepeach.com/personal-space-day/
- Visit www.givespacepeach.com and reach out
- Join to show your care
- Purchase one of their symboled products for yourself or as a gift
- Media, please contact Anne Sovran email@example.com or Carol Winner firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show you care in other ways (shared ideas):
- Cook their favorite meal
- Run errands for them
- Read their favorite book to them
NATIONAL PERSONAL SPACE DAY HISTORY
Give space, operating as for the Love of Peach, LLC, founded National Personal Space Day in 2019 to promote and support an awareness of personal space boundaries. Whether recovering from surgery, an illness or anxiety, the Peach symbol communicates the wearer’s need for an extended boundary. National Personal Space Day increases awareness of the symbol and provides an opportunity to alter the way we show we care.
The Registrar at National Day Calendar® proclaimed National Personal Space Day to be observed on November 30th annually.
About For the Love of Peach
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!