NATIONAL TAKE OUR DAUGHTERS AND SONS TO WORK DAY
Each year on the fourth Thursday in April, National Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day encourages parents to take their children to work.
This annual event is an educational program in the United States and Canada where parents take their children to work with them for one day. The day is designed to help children explore the workforce. It inspires children to see the different roles required to run a business or to build a project. They may find an interest in engineering, accounting, or art while spending the day with mom or day. Perhaps a child’s natural proclivity for order leads them into logistics someday.
Children are observant and curious. Bring them into your work world so they can explore careers and skills. Empower them to set goals and create a path to their dream career.
HOW TO OBSERVE #TakeOurChildrenToWorkDay
- Share with your children what a day in your work life is like.
- If you work from home create activities to simulate what your day might involve. Perhaps they can join you on a conference call.
- Share with them the skills and education your job requires.
- Describe the process for completing a project and how ideas are sparked.
- Visit the Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Foundation for more at-home project ideas and information.
- Employers are encouraged to invite employees to bring their children to work. Share your story on social media using #TakeOurChildrenToWorkDay
NATIONAL TAKE OUR DAUGHTERS AND SONS TO WORK DAY HISTORY
Gloria Steinem and the MS Foundation for Women founded National Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day in 1993. It is the successor to Take Our Daughters to Work Day which, in 2003, expanded to include boys. Most companies allowed both girls and boys to participate from the beginning, renaming the day “Take Our Children to Work Day.”
Take Our Children to Work FAQ
Q. Do all employers participate in this event?
A. No. Some settings don’t accommodate children in the workplace. It is either unsafe or difficult to allow children in the workplace.
Q. Can children of any age attend an event like this?
A. Some workplaces will set a minimum age. Employers may also create a special time span for children to visit. It’s important to follow your employer’s guidelines.
28 April 2022
27 April 2023
25 April 2024
24 April 2025
23 April 2026
22 April 2027
27 April 2028
26 April 2029