NATIONAL STRETCHING DAY | December 11
December 11 celebrates National Stretching Day as a reminder for people to implement the crucial practice of stretching in their fitness routines.
Flexibility is one of the most significant components to leading a healthy lifestyle. In fact, individuals from all walks of life should think about incorporating stretching daily. On National Stretching Day we want everyone to take care of their body by starting a daily stretching routine.
There are 4 types of stretching techniques that can help you in your daily routine. Understanding those techniques will help you properly choose which routine is best for you.
- Active stretching happens when you target a specific area on your body. For example, an overhead stretch will focus on your upper body, stretching your shoulders, arms, and chest. This is the most common form of stretching to loosen your body up before activity.
- Passive stretching is used when an individual is trying to enhance their flexibility. We see this type of stretching during Yoga routines. With passive stretching, we stretch our bodies and hold the stretch for a bit to increase our flexibility.
- Dynamic stretching occurs when we move our body in a repetitive motion to increase muscle flexibility. Lunges and leg swings are perfect examples of dynamic stretching. Athletes tend to use dynamic stretching to prepare their bodies for extended physical use.
- PNF stretching, or proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching, is most often used during medical treatment and requires a certified specialist. This type of stretching focuses on specific muscles to help the muscle reach maximum stretch capacity. Most often used after an injury or surgery, PNF stretching helps muscles return to their original range and motion.
Benefits of Stretching
Why is stretching important? Stretching improves our lifestyle and helps us live a better life. When we stretch daily, we increase our mobility and keep our muscles flexible and strong. As we age, our independence becomes compromised, partially due to the inability to move. Daily stretching exercises will keep our joints moving as we age, which keeps our body healthy. Stretching:
- Reduces the risk of tight or sore muscles.
- Improves range of motion.
- Decreases hip and back pain.
- Prevents injuries, such as muscle strain and joint pain.
- Promotes better body movement.
Safe Stretching Tips
- Warm your body up before stretching by marching in place and swinging your arms.
- Use good posture and form when stretching to avoid injury to your body.
- Choose a stretching motion that builds mild tension in your muscles. If it hurts, STOP.
- Calmly breath during any stretching routine. Holding your breathe can cause muscles to tense, resulting in unnecessary injury.
- Set a time to stretch daily.
- Develop a new daily stretching routine and stick to it.
- Learn about the short and long-term benefits of stretching.
- Join a Yoga class.
- Play a nightly game of Twister with your family and have fun stretching.
- Volunteer at a retirement facility and engage residents to practice daily stretching techniques.
- Join a stretching class.
- Document your stretching journey and watch your progress.
- Learn about the Stretch Zone Method.
- Share your photos of your stretching routine on social media using #NationalStretchingDay.
National Day Calendar is pleased to welcome Stretch Zone to the National Day Calendar Founder Family. Beginning in 2022, we will celebrate National Stretching Day on December 11 and each year after.
Stretch Zone was founded in 2004 by Jorden Gold to bring practitioner-assisted stretching to the public. Using patented equipment and trained professionals who expertly position, stabilize, and isolate muscles as part of a full-body workout, Gold created the Stretch Zone Method.
The Stretch Zone Method utilizes specialized, patented equipment paired with principles of neuromuscular behavior. The method works to improve your range of motion, adjust your stretch reflex, and retrain your nervous system in order to help you accomplish more in your daily life–at work or at play. Initially, a wellness tool mostly exclusive to elite athletes, the Stretch Zone Method is available to everyone thanks to Jorden’s persistence and vision.
Proprietary Stretch Methodology
The concept for Stretch Zone was born out of founder Jorden Gold’s personal experience. In the 1990s, Jorden’s diabetic grandfather became completely lethargic and bedridden and began losing mobility. Jorden believed he could apply a proprietary stretch methodology to improve circulation by strengthening his grandfather’s muscles. By applying this methodology, he was able to improve his grandfather’s circulation, ultimately allowing him to walk, and even dance, more comfortably and confidently daily.
As part of Stretch Zone’s expansion efforts, the company invests in marketing efforts and has recently onboarded RBB Communications to assist with media outreach. In 2021 alone, Stretch Zone has been featured in top-tier national and regional media outlets. These outlets include Bustle, Men’s Health, MSN, TMRWxTODAY by The TODAY Show, USA Today, Well+Good, New Orleans CityBusiness, and St. Louis Business Journal.