NATIONAL SOMETHING ON A STICK DAY
Observed each year on March 28th, National Something on a Stick Day is a food holiday that lets you use your creative talents. Once you get started, the possibilities are endless. Foods that come on a stick are fun and easy to eat.
There isn’t much that can’t be put on a stick when talking about food. Soup might be that one exception, though if it were flavorful frozen, we might make an exception.
From cool summer treats like the Popsicle to frozen food staples like the corn dog, food on a stick is one of the world’s great inventions. Fresh fruit kabobs and skewers of grilled veggies and meat are both summer favorites.
Street fairs and food trucks have created a variety of recipes made to go on a stick that takes us from breakfast to after-party hunger with flavor combinations that sometimes make us wonder why we haven’t tried that before! Whether it is fresh and healthy or breaded and deep-fried, menu choices are broad and plentiful for National Something on a Stick Day.
HOW TO OBSERVE #SomethingOnAStickDay
- Get inventive and create your own combination. How about grilled pear on a stick? Or perhaps meat and cheese squares or brownie and marshmallows bites? Have a creative breakfast, lunch or dinner and have fun with the day!!
- Master eating with chopsticks.
- Serve each meal on a stick. French toast for breakfast? Serve it cut up on toothpicks. Salad for lunch? Slide all the fixings on a skewer. The same goes for supper. Be creative and involve the whole family in the planning. Just don’t serve soup.
- Challenge the family to create or name as many foods on a stick as possible.
- Have you ever put family photos on a stick or created something similar to a Flat Stanley?
- Take a group photo using a selfie stick. That’s right, put your phone on a stick.
- Create a photo booth. Use fun props, many of which are on a stick.
- Educators and families, visit the National Day Calendar Classroom for more ways to Celebrate Every Day!
- Use #SomethingOnAStickDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL SOMETHING ON A STICK DAY HISTORY
Our research was unable to find the origin and the creator of National Something On A Stick Day.
Something on a Stick FAQ
Q. Who can celebrate this day?
A. Anyone can celebrate National Something on a Stick Day. All you need is a skewer or chopsticks and your favorite foods. Some foods already come on a stick! Corn dogs and popsicles come to mind.
Q. Does this day require cooking?
A. No. Or at least it doesn’t have to. Make fruit kabobs or have an ice cream bar. Slice up some pb&j sandwiches and put them on a skewer.