NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELING WEEK
National School Counseling Week recognizes the vital roles school counselors play in the lives of students across the country. Each year during the first full school week in February, schools, and teachers take time to show appreciation to the counselors who’ve made an impact on the lives of their students.
School counselors provide a wealth of support throughout a student’s academic career. As a counselor, they help students when they face adversity such as bullying, trouble at home, academic performance, and relationship issues. Counselors also listen to students’ interests and assess their skills and personality to help them decide their future academic and career goals.
A counselor works closely with the student, educators, and parents. They work in a variety of settings including the classroom, groups and one on one situations.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalSchoolCounselingWeek
Throughout the week, schools will be shining a spotlight on the services school counselors provide. Each faucet of these services offers students unique opportunities for growth. Partnering with the counselors in your school will enhance your student’s academic experience.
- Send a thank you card to your school counselor.
- If you’re a school counselor, share your experiences and why you chose your career.
- Recognize a school counselor who made a difference in your life.
- Ask your school’s counselor questions about being more involved in your student’s academic life.
- Share how your school counseling program works.
- Schools, put your counselors in the spotlight – let them lead the celebration in their own style.
- Support adding more school counselors to your school, especially if they are understaffed.
Use #SchoolCounselingWeek to share on social media.
NATIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELING WEEK HISTORY
Since the 1980s, American School Counselor Association promotes the week-long observance with tools and resources year after year.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!