NATIONAL SAUSAGE PIZZA DAY
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs, and cheese which some attribute to the beginning of the pizza.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
Whether your pizza is thin crust, hand tossed, thick crust or deep dish, top it with delicious Italian sausage and celebrate National Sausage Pizza Day.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Enjoy these sausage pizza recipes:
Use #NationalSausagePizzaDay to post on social media.
Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of National Sausage Pizza Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day with National Day Calendar!