NATIONAL PIZZA WITH THE WORKS EXCEPT ANCHOVIES DAY
National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day says to hold the fishes! Anchovy lovers move over on November 12th. All the other pizza lovers get their due and pile on their toppings. This annual pizza holiday gets the spotlight with olives, pepperoni, sausage, peppers, and onions. How about mushrooms, bacon, or pineapple? Approved! Just no fishy business on this national day, or no pizza for you!
Classified as an oily fish, Anchovies are a family of small, common salt-water forage fish. There are 144 species found in the Atlantic, Indian, and Pacific Oceans. Anchovies are small, green fish. They have blue reflections caused by the silver longitudinal stripe, which begins at the base of the caudal fin.
Traditionally, anchovies are processed in a salt brine and then packed in oil or salt, resulting in a strong, characteristic flavor. Optionally they may be pickled in vinegar, giving the anchovies a milder taste.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs, and cheese. Some believe this practice is the beginning of the pizza.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα,” pita, meaning pie.
- The Romans developed a sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey. They then flavored it with bay leaves.
- The modern pizza began in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese. The mozzarella was produce in Naples and usually the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant.
- In 1997, the United States produced an estimated 2 billion pounds of pizza cheese annually.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Americans love pizza. So much so, it’s one of our favorite meals.
HOW TO OBSERVE #PizzaWithTheWorksExceptAnchoviesDay
Make a pizza with the works. Leave off the fishies. Invite family and friends to join you! Or go out to favorite pizza place. Give them a shoutout. Tell us what a pizza with the works means to you. Use #PizzaWithTheWorksExceptAnchoviesDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL PIZZA WITH THE WORKS EXCEPT ANCHOVIES DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues researching the origins of this uniquely fishless holiday.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!