NATIONAL PIZZA PARTY DAY
Each year on the third Friday in May, millions of pizza lovers across the nation join in extolling the qualities of pizza on National Pizza Party Day. Celebrate by inviting friends and family to share a night of fun at your favorite pizzeria. Another way to celebrate is with a homemade pizza with fresh toppings or by having one delivered.
- In ancient Greece, Greeks enjoyed bread covered with oils, herbs, and cheese.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Share photos of your pizza party on your favorite social media and include #PizzaPartyDay
Our research has not determined the origins of National Pizza Party Day.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day with National Day Calendar!
May 17, 2019
May 15, 2020
May 21, 2021
May 20, 2022
May 19, 2023
May 17, 2024
May 16, 2025
May 15, 2026
May 21, 2027
May 19, 2028
May 18, 2029