NATIONAL PIZZA PARTY DAY
Each year on the third Friday in May, millions of pizza lovers across the nation join in extolling the qualities of pizza on National Pizza Party Day.
Since pizza is one of America’s favorite foods, it comes as no surprise we would celebrate a day that features a pizza party. Pizza parties bring friends together. They’re also an excellent way to reward a team or group for a job well done. Birthdays and some minor achievements are also celebrated with pizza parties, too. Although, just about any excuse can be used for a good pizza party.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs, and cheese, which some attribute to the beginning of the pizza.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα,” pita, meaning pie.
- The Romans developed a pastry with a sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves.
- Our modern pizza had its beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant. It was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- An estimated 2 billion pounds of pizza cheese was produced in the United States in 1997.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in New York’s Little Italy in 1905.
- The largest pizza ever made, according to Guinness World Records, weighed 26,883 pounds. It was made in Norwood, South Africa, on December 8, 1990.
- As far as pizza eating contests go, the winner goes to Kelvin Medina, who ate a 12-inch pizza in 23.62 seconds on April 12, 2015.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPizzaPartyDay
Come up with a reason for a pizza party and start ordering! We’ll give you a few ideas:
- It’s someone’s half birthday.
- Your car hit 84,324 miles.
- Your best friend found out he likes raisins.
- A bee flew by, and you didn’t gasp.
- The sun came out.
- Someone correctly used the word “literally” in a sentence.
- You woke up.
- 10 days without road rage.
- You went to the beach and your toddler didn’t eat sand.
- In a conversation with Snoop, he wasn’t a smarty pants.
- You have a conversation with Amy where she doesn’t cuss like a trucker.
- You write a sentence that Michele doesn’t correct the grammar.
- Laura asks, “Did someone say Nacho Pizza?”
Celebrate by inviting friends and family to share a night of fun at your favorite pizzeria. Another way to celebrate is with a homemade pizza with fresh toppings or by having one delivered. Make individual pizzas so everyone can enjoy their favorite pizza. Order gift cards for future pizza parties to support local businesses.
Share photos of your pizza party on your favorite social media and include #PizzaPartyDay.
Educators and families, visit the National Day Calendar Classroom for projects and ideas to #CelebrateEveryDay!
NATIONAL PIZZA PARTY DAY HISTORY
Our research has not determined the origins of National Pizza Party Day.
15 May 2020
21 May 2021
20 May 2022
19 May 2023
17 May 2024
16 May 2025
15 May 2026
21 May 2027
19 May 2028
18 May 2029
17 May 2030
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day with National Day Calendar!