NATIONAL PIE DAY
National Pie Day on January 23rd celebrates one of the Nations’ favorite desserts. No matter how you slice it, pie in just about any form makes a crowd happy. Fruit pies, berry pies, cream pies – they’re mouth water servings of homemade goodness.
National Pie Day was created simply to celebrate the pie. It is a day for all to bake or cook their favorite pies. Even more importantly, it is a day set aside for all to enjoy eating pies!
The first pies appeared around 9500 BC in the Egyptian Neolithic period or New Stone Age.
Click play and enjoy a story about National Pie Day featuring our founder, Marlo Anderson. If you enjoy the 2 minute show, subscribe with your favorite podcast player.
Fun Tidbit – Pie throwing:
Cream filled or topped pies are favorite props for humor. Throwing a pie in a person’s face has been a staple of film comedy since Ben Turpin received one in Mr. Flip in 1909.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPieDay
Go out for pie or try one of these recipes:
Use #NationalPieDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL PIE DAY HISTORY
The American Pie Council created National Pie Day in 1986 to commemorate Crisco’s 75th anniversary of “serving foods to families everywhere.”
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!
2020 list of businesses offering free and discounted pie on January 23.
Please contact us with any offers not listed!
- Grand Traverse Pie Co.will offer a free slice of apple crumb or cherry crumb pie with any purchase.
- Birdie’s Pie Shop (birdiespies.com) is offering “buy one personal pie, get one half off” on National Pie Day, January 23rd. Enjoy!
- Village Inn – Slice of fruit pie or classic pie with any dine-in purchase. No coupon necessary. See website for details.
- Baker’s Square – Free slice of pie with any menu item purchase. See website for details.
- Berry Manor Inn (Maine) – January 24 – 26 – Pies on Parade
- Eckerts – (Illinois, Kentucky) – Buy one pie at regular price in their Country Store, you will receive a second pie of equal or lesser value FREE. In their Restaurant on January 23, receive a FREE slice of pie with any entrée purchased.
- Elegant Farmer – Enjoy an 8″ Apple and Fruit Pies on sale for just $10.99 January 23-26, 2020, in our market with sampling on Saturday.
- Norma’s Cafe – FREE slice of Mile High Pie while supplies last
- The Pie Shoppe (Western Pennsylvania) – Visit their website to see pie sale deals and participate in The Pie Shoppe Fundraising Program.
- Sauder Village – Doughbox Bakery is offering a deal of $1.00 off pies and free samples throughout the day, while supplies last.
- O’Charleys – Free pie Wednesdays here a slice of pie is free when you dine in.
- Coco’s Restaurants – Receive a FREE slice of pie with any entree purchase on 1/23 only.
- Shari’s – Receive a FREE slice of pie with any entree purchase on 1/23 only.
If you know of a deal and it is not listed, please comment below.