NATIONAL PICNIC DAY
On April 23rd, National Picnic Day encourages everyone to pack up their lunch and take it outdoors. Picnics are a terrific way to enjoy a meal outdoors in the company of friends and family.
There are a variety of ways to take part in a picnic. This meal hearkens back to mid-18th-century al fresco French dining when all you needed was a bottle of wine, a loaf of bread, some cheese, and fruit and you could have a party under the sky.
From the French for piquenique, picnic means a meal eaten outdoors.
From barbecues to simple cold plates, picnics are light informal affairs intended to be relaxing and fun for everyone to enjoy the day. Some favorite picnic foods include sandwiches, chips, fresh fruit and vegetables, light salads, and homemade bars. However, picnics can be expanded to include grilled items, too. Burgers and corn on the cob cook up nicely on a portable grill. During large picnics, guests often bring a dish to share creating a potluck atmosphere.
The fresh air tends to rev up our appetite, so getting in some physical activity while enjoying a picnic is nice, too. Games of horseshoe, Frisbee, catch, or flying a kite add to the fun of the day.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPicnicDay
- Celebrate this day by having a picnic of your own.
- Pack up a cooler or basket with a few of your favorite items.
- Make sure to include a beverage or two.
- Be sure to keep perishable items on ice so no one gets sick.
- Visit a favorite park or recreation area.
- Lay the blanket out in the sun or shade (whichever you prefer) and enjoy the day with a meal under the sky.
- Bring a Frisbee or a ball to toss around, too.
- You can also explore these 7 Best Picnic Foods to help plan your next picnic.
- If the weather does not cooperate, have a picnic on the living room floor in your home!
- Share your photos on social media using #NationalPicnicDay.
NATIONAL PICNIC DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to research the origins of this outdoor holiday.
Q. Does a picnic require a crowd?
A. No. In fact, one person can enjoy a picnic. It’s a great way to get away and enjoy some quiet time. However, if you’re hankering for some company, definitely invite someone to join you.
Q. Does a picnic have to be on the ground?
A. No. Spread your spread on a picnic table. You can also munch your lunch from a tailgate. Dine on the back nine from the golf cart. Eat your treat while making a retreat from a rainstorm. Feast on your roast beast while dancing in the east.