NATIONAL PEAR MONTH
All December long, National Pear Month recognizes the flavor and versatility of this delicious fruit.
Whether they are enjoyed fresh off the tree or as a preserve, pears add significant nutritional benefits to any diet. In the United States, there are ten varieties of pears. They range in color, texture, and sweetness making them useful for a wide range of dishes.
Subtly alter a pear by lightly baking it and releasing the juices. It makes an elegant presentation and an even more delicious dessert. Pair it with wine and cheese for an elevated flavor. Add pears to soup to take advantage of their luxurious texture and forgiving character.
Pears offer so much with their variety and abundance. During National Pear Month, enjoy all they have to offer!
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalPearMonth
Don’t hesitate to explore pear recipes for supper this month. They will add a whole new flavor profile to your cooking.
- Roasts, chicken and turkey all receive upgraded flavor when pears are added.
- Salads come alive with sliced pears and light vinaigrette dressing.
- Add a pear chutney to just about any pork dish and you won’t be disappointed. The spicy sweetness adds a warm flavor that is deliciously satisfying.
- As mentioned above, pears and cheese go well together. That means, they also complement each other on a crusty pizza, too.
- When it comes to turkey leftovers, add a few slices of pears to your turkey and cranberry sandwich. The combination will be one of ultimate satisfaction.
- Many vintners offer pear wines that delight the tongue. Their subtle sweetness sometimes leans toward a dessert wine, but not always. Some pear wines are made for lingering over.
Try a new variety of pears. Check out the recipe page for several new pear recipes and use #NationalPearMonth to share yours!
Educators and families, visit the National Day Calendar Classroom for projects to help you Celebrate Every Day!
NATIONAL PEAR MONTH HISTORY
The U.S. Department of Agriculture proclaimed December National Pear Month in 2004.