NATIONAL LIFE WRITING MONTH | November
National Life Writing Month is an annual designation observed in November. This is a busy time for writers, as it’s NaNoWriMo as well! You know what this means. Time to grab your laptop and a few notebooks, pens, and highlighters, plug in to some good music and let those creative juices flow to get writing! The goal of National Life Writing Month is to encourage people to write about themselves and their life as they have experienced it thus far (it’s sometimes known as Memoir Writing Month.) Now is the time for you to dedicate yourself to writing personal and family stories, memories, traditions, significant events, and anything else you feel is worth adding to your life story.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Write a story focusing on your life. Use #LifeWritingMonth to post on social media. Here are some tips to help you get started on your memoir!
- Don’t think too hard. Let your most significant memories come to mind, jot everything down, and expand on them later. Close your eyes, take a breath, and let your big life moments come to you.
- Help yourself out by going through old pictures, videos, and letters.
- When you begin, don’t worry about grammar or sentence structure. Get the thoughts out there, and smooth the rest out later.
- Arrange everything in a timeline to help you write your full story.
- Have fun with it! This is YOUR writing about YOUR life and YOUR memories and thoughts. It shouldn’t be anyone else’s but your own, so as long as you enjoy writing and reading it, you have succeeded!
In our research, we were unable to find the founder of National Life Writing Month.