NATIONAL LEARN TO SWIM DAY | THIRD SATURDAY IN MAY
National Learn to Swim Day on the third Saturday in May is dedicated to educating parents and children about water safety. Before Memorial Day Weekend and the start of summer, it is an annual opportunity for families to learn the importance and benefits of learning to swim.
There are remarkable benefits to learning to swim. Besides the obvious safety benefit, other benefits include:
- We gain additional fitness opportunities when we learn to swim. No matter our age, learning to swim is an excellent cardiovascular exercise that is easy on the joints. It is also a lifelong skill that many of us will appreciate as we age.
- As we learn to swim, we also gain social skills. Swimming is a social activity. It’s one that offers us opportunities to meet new people who often teach us new things.
- It’s a year-round exercise. Most fitness centers have pools and when the winters get long, what better way to burn off some energy than to take the kids to the pool.
- The younger we start, the more benefits we receive. From motor skills to stress relief to safety skills, swimming has it.
- When it comes to children with disabilities, swimming is easily accessible and adaptable.
While swimming is enjoyed by all ages all year round, summer is a time when we take to the lakes, rivers, and outdoor pools. Because of the risks involved when one is in the water, safety, and knowledge, from the earliest age, are vital.
HOW TO OBSERVE Learn To Swim Day
Sign up for swimming lessons. No matter your age, it’s time to take a dip. Use #LearnToSwimDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL LEARN TO SWIM DAY HISTORY
Swimways Corp founded National Learn to Swim Day in 2014. “Swimways Corp. is a leader in the recreational water products marketplace and creator of the SwimWays(R) Swim Steps(TM) program that helps kids learn to swim.”
21 May 2022
20 May 2023
18 May 2024
17 May 2025
16 May 2026
15 May 2027
20 May 2028
19 May 2029
15 May 2030