NATIONAL HOMEMADE COOKIES DAY
National Homemade Cookies Day is observed annually on October 1. If you are looking for an excuse to bake some homemade cookies, look no further. Package them up and share them with neighbors, co-workers, and friends!
Cookie Baking Tips
- Most cookie recipes have butter or a fat component. The butter should be soft, but cool, almost room temperature. What to do if you want to bake but you forgot the butter in the refrigerator? Leave each stick of butter in its wrapper and place it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the butter on high for ten seconds. Turn each stick of butter two turns. Microwave for ten more seconds. Turn each stick of butter one turn. While turning, test how soft the butter is. Depending on your microwave, you may want to stop here and prepare the rest of your ingredients. If the butter still needs more time, microwave for 5-10 more seconds.
- Cream the butter and sugar together to create a smooth, fluffy mixture, so the sugar isn’t grainy.
- Beat in each egg separately.
- Use proper measuring cups for the job. Liquid measuring cups are larger than the amount needed, clear with lines for visual confirmation of the amount of liquid and have a spout for pouring. Dry measuring cups are designed to be filled to the top with the exact amount.
- Measure your flour correctly. Don’t scoop the flour out of the container. It will pack too much into the cup. Use a spoon to lightly sift the flour into the measuring cup, then carefully level the excess off with the edge of a knife.
- Line metal baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats to prevent the cookies from spreading too far. Or, use a baking stone to have evenly baked cookies every time.
HOW TO OBSERVE #HomemadeCookiesDay
Bake some homemade cookies. One of the best ways is to bake with family or friends. That’s how it becomes a celebration. When we share in the goodness of a recipe and bake with love, every day is a celebration. That’s why we Celebrate Every Day®! Bake one of your family favorites or try one of these tasty recipes. There are also several listed on the National Day Calendar recipes pages, too!
Use #HomemadeCookiesDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL HOMEMADE COOKIE DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar® continues researching the origins of the sweet cookie holiday.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!