NATIONAL GOOF OFF DAY
National Goof Off Day on March 22nd each year gives everyone the opportunity to have a little extra fun. The day is also known as International Goof Off Day.
It is a day to relax, enjoy and goof off. Do something fun and leave the work until tomorrow. Everybody needs to take a break from time to time. It is often so easy to get so involved in the work and pressures in our lives. So stop, take a break, find something different!
Let any goofy idea pop into your head. Make paper airplanes from seed packets. Doodle pictures of poodles in puddles in Peru. Play a game of Jenga with randomly stacked spice jars. Or do the obvious and spend the day in your pajamas doing nothing.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalGoofOffDay
There are many different things that a person could do. Catch up on some sleep or read a good book. You might also watch a good movie or even play a board game. Maybe even get caught goofing off with some of your friends.
5 Great Ways to Goof Off With Your Kids
- Sock Races – When things have gotten mind-numbingly boring, this goofy game will bring about some giggles and definitely burn off some boredom. Empty out the sock drawers. Preferably mom and dad’s because the bigger the better. Make a pile on the floor. Each child starts with bare feet and the goal is to put as many socks on their feet before the sock pile is gone. They’ll look goofy doing it and goofy when they’re done, too. And, all the while they were playing, they were goofing off.
- Play Dress-Up – It doesn’t matter what age our kids are, playing dress-up allows them to act out. Bring out some old makeup, old clothes and use a hairbrush as a microphone. Crank up the music and let the lipsyncing begin. Share a few videos, laugh and make some memories, too.
- Charades – Play an old fashioned game of charades. Set a few parameters by selecting a set topic that will keep your children on course. For example, you may want to only act out one of these topics: Disney movies, international travel, or national days.
- Blanket Fort – This classic way to goof off can lead to naps, reading books or playing with other toys. But it’s also a surefire memory maker, too.
- Write a Song – Take a song the whole family likes and write a new verse to it.
Strictly speaking, goofing off is the avoidance of work. So whatever you do, try not to look like you are working.
Use #NationalGoofOffDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL GOOF OFF DAY HISTORY
Monica (Moeller) Dufour of Davidson, MI founded National Goof Off Day. According to official records, the first celebration took place in 1976. In an interview with the Detroit Free Press in 1983, Moeller suggests the first event may have been a few years later. Whenever the inaugural day took place, it’s no surprise National Goof Off Day was created by a kid with the direction to do things out of the ordinary.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!