NATIONAL GOLF LOVER’S DAY
National Golf Lover’s Day on October 4th provides an opportunity for golf enthusiasts to swing down the fairway at least one more time during the season.
While celebrating the day, you might notice it is sometimes also referred to as National Golf Day. Since 1952, the PGA has held a charity event each year for National Golf Day, which is held on different days each year.
The modern game of golf may have originated in 15th century Scotland. However, it is unclear and very much debated as to its ancient origins.
- 1779 – The Royal Gazette of New York City posted an advertisement for golf clubs and golf balls.
- 1796 – The Georgia Gazette publishes notice of an annual general meeting for a golf club in Savannah.
- Golf became firmly established in the late 19th century.
- 1894 – Delegates from the Newport Country Club, Saint Andrew’s Golf Club, Yonkers, New York, The Country Club, Chicago Golf Club, and Shinnecock Hills Golf Club met in New York City to form what became the United States Golf Association (USGA)
- 1910 – There were 267 Clubs affiliated to the USGA.
- 1922 – Walter Hagen became the first native-born American to win the British Open Championship,
- 1932 – There were more than 1,100 Clubs affiliated to the USGA.
- 1980 – Over 5,908 Clubs affiliated to the USGA.
- 2013 – Over 10,600 Clubs affiliated to the USGA.
HOW TO OBSERVE #GolfLoversDay
In many parts of the country, golfers hit the links all year long. However, in the more northern regions, courses will close due to cooler temperatures preventing golfers from chasing the elusive hole-in-one. While you can, get out and golf a round or two. Invite friends to join you. Visit a course you’ve never been to before. Challenge yourself to a more difficult course. Improve your handicap or offer to teach someone the game.
No matter what you do, include someone else in your endeavors. When we #CelebrateEveryDay, it’s important to include others in those moments. Gather your friends and enjoy a round of golf. Use #GolfLoversDay to post on social media.
NATIONAL GOLF LOVER’S DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar® continues researching the origins of this sports holiday.
There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day® with National Day Calendar®!