NATIONAL ENCOURAGE A YOUNG WRITER DAY
Observed each year on April 10th is National Encourage a Young Writer Day. Do you know a young person who has a vivid imagination, maybe someone who likes to tell stories and reads a lot of books? These may be the signs of a great young writer.
National Encourage a Young Writer Day would be a good time to talk to them about their ideas and dreams. Encourage them to pursue their goals and develop their writing skills.
HOW TO OBSERVE #EncourageAYoungWriterDay
- Give a journal. A journal provides a place for daily writing. From short poems to inspired essays, this is a place young writers can feel free to stretch their wings unjudged.
- Offer writing prompts. These random bits of inspiration can come from the most unlikely sources but often generate unexpected results. Prompts are available all over the web and in books and apps.
- Encourage them to read. The more they read, their experience with writing and writers will expand.
- Have young writers try multiple writing styles and different voices. Changing perspective will keep their writing fresh, allowing them an opportunity to find their personal style.
- Create a young writers group. It’s a good way to see their story from the reader’s point of view and to receive feedback from peers.
- Give a young writer some encouragement and use #EncourageAYoungWriterDay to post on social media.
- Educators, visit the National Day Calendar Classroom to see a lesson to Encourage A Young Writer, too!
NATIONAL ENCOURAGE A YOUNG WRITER DAY HISTORY
National Day Calendar continues to research the origins of this writing prompt day.
Q. What benefits does writing offer young writers?
A. Writing is a skill that transcends environments. It’s a skill that is appreciated in work, school, home, and social settings. Though video technology continues to expand, there is still a growing need for skilled writers in many facets of life. These skills can bolster creativity and confidence, too.
Q. What are ways to involve a young writer?
A. Young writers can write for a variety of projects:
- Fiction or non-fiction stories
- News articles
- Technical writing
- Blog posts